How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Cameron Your Own Question
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 12910
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Cameron is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the best medication for jaw pain?

Customer Question

What is the best medication for jaw pain?

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 7 years ago.


Welcome to Just Answer...

Vicodin contains Acetaminophen + Hydrocodone (narcotic analgesic).

Darvoset contains Acetaminophen + Propoxyphene (narcotic analgesic).

Zanaflex contains Tizanidine (muscle relaxant).

Soma contains Carisoprodol (muscle relaxant).

The best analgesic (pain killer) depends on the medical condition you have.... which pain killer is going to help you most depends upon clinical evaluation and underlying diagnosis...

In case you have an inflammatory joint condition of Jaw, then the drugs that are going to help you most are Anti-inflammatory pain killers like Brufen or Aleve...

I hope this answers your question...

Kindest Regards...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry that I didn't list over-the-counter meds. I have tried regular Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Aleve, etc. I have been to my dentist (made a new splint), I have had an apico procedure (thinking it was related to a problem tooth), I have had several treatments with a physical therapist and dry needling procedures. I have most recently visited my doctor (who prescribed the soma), but I am not finding relief. I feel like everyone wants to wait and see, but I am in constant pain and am tired of waiting (this has been going on since January 2010). Any other thoughts on medications or suggested treatments/tests?

Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.

Where exactly is this pain?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It can migrate, but it always initiates in the jaw joint (both sides). My primary doctor doesn't think it is TMJ, but may be muscle. The pain can radiate along the top or bottom of the gums, as well as causes headaches (from upper neck to temple area). I am avoiding "chewy" foods, no gum, trying to keep jaw relaxed, etc. I am in contact with both my dentist and doctor, but the options they are presenting don't seem to be working. I am looking for more information or ideas to present to them. I am probably pain free for about the first 30 minutes of the day. After that, the pain is constant throughout the day.

Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.

Have you considered seeing a neurologist?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

That is an option my primary doctor suggested (as well as an ENT specialist). I'm just trying to explore all options.

Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.

Well, the reason why I am asking you is because you need to be considered for trigeminal neuralgia.

Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) or tic doloureux (also known as proeopalgia) is a nerve disorder of the trigeminal nerve which results in episodes of intense pain in the eyes, lips, nose, scalp, forehead, and jaw. TN is usually seen in middle age, specifically after 50, but can be seen at any age. More women are affected than men. It is often underdiagnosed as many physicians are not familiar with this disorder.
The condition can bring about stabbing, mind-numbing, electric shock-like pain from just a finger's glance of the cheek.
TN, is hard to treat, but you do have several treatment options. You may require a combination of anti-seizure medications, anti-depressants, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, steroids, nerve blocks, Botox and/or opiates. Chronic pain is notoriously hard to deal with and it may require some trial and error before an optimal plan is in place.

Usually, this is on one side of the face but can occur on both. You need to see a neurologist for this diagnosis.

Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 12910
Experience: American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
Dr. Cameron and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you