Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have jaw/cheek pain and head aches on the sides of my

Customer Question
i have jaw/cheek pain and...
i have jaw/cheek pain and head aches on the sides of my head. also ears ache and fill plugged at times. i also have neck muscle soreness. use to have numbing sensation in face as well. doctor gave me tmj meds that seemed to help but gave me bad canker sores. what should i do ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
5/11/2010
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 7 years ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms so that I can try.Did you take any treatment for canker sore? Did you have any test?

Regards.
when i wake up i feel clogged and groggy. also jaw and head pain worse in the am. also have mucus build up in the mornings. the jaw pains are tender to the touch in the jaw and cheek bones. also muscles are sore in cheek and neck.
yes i took canker sore meds the first time. when the sores went away my jaw and head started aching again so i took the TMJ meds again. that seemed to help but a few days later i got sores again so i stopped taking the Tmj meds and the sores cleared. now i am taking the excedrin and that helps my head aches.
Thank you for the input.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. The mouth ulcers may be due to recurrent aphthous stomatitis or recurrent canker sores. The other causes may be due to injury from teeth, infection from virus like herpes , STD,vasculitis , allergy etc. As you have recurrent outbreaks it is likely to be aphthous. Stress can precipitate the condition. Sometimes foods like eggs, cereals, almonds,chocolate, coffee, peanuts, cheese strawberries and tomatoes etc. can be the precipitating factor. Symptoms of TMJ include jaw tenderness, ear pain, headache etc. Still you can take a consultation with a neurologist. You can try chlorhexidine mouth rinse. Sometimes steroid may be necessary to cure canker sores.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
not having any problems with the canker sores any more since i got off the TMJ meds as if i was having a reaction.
the main problem is the head aches and jaw pain will not go away. the excedrine just soothes the pain temporarily but doesn't remove it completely. is there any thing else you could think of that might help.
The other treatment options are physical therapy, massage, muscle relaxants, antidepressants etc. Antiinflammatory analgesics like motrin can be helpful for short term use. In some cases steroid injection is also used.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Dr Su S
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)