Ask Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurolog...
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor
Experience:  Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.
19824690

I have a swollen vein I can feel on my left

I have a swollen vein I can feel on my left temple......every once in a while it will give me pain.....My blood pressure is 150/87.....do I need to be concerned? Thanks, ***** *****

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.

Please let me know a little more about the symptoms so that I can try. Since how long the symptoms are? Any other symptom? Any test ? On any medication? Any significant past illness?

Regards.
Your doctor needs to order a blood test called ESR and make sure you don't have temporal arteritis (giant cell arteritis).

This condition is due to inflammation in blood vessels that may lead to impaired vision or even blindness if untreated. It often manifests itself with tenderness over the temple area and a blood vessel that can be felt.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
For 41/2 weeks I have had a pain in on my left side of my back about where the bra hits..Also muscle spasms down and under my left breast....Had a CT scan they said it was a pinched nerve.....I am on Lisinipril for High blod pressure....was on 800 mg Ibuprofen, 1/2 lortab and 5mg of a muscle relaxant generic flexeril, plus a pain patch......Went to a orthopedic surgeon , he took me off of everything except muscle relaxant and put me on Naproxen twice a day.....told me 8 out of 10 cases people feel better in 8 weeks.
These symptoms would further suggest that you may have temporal arteritis (TA) because 50% of patients with TA also have polymyalgia rheumatica which causes aching and stiffness in muscles. These symptoms may have been masked by the pain medications you were taking.

I hope you will consider my initial suggestions.
Experience: Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.