T Khan
T Khan, Doctor
Experience:  UW Med School/UCLA Training/USC Faculty. Full Spectrum Family Medicine - Adult, Peds, OB/GYN
33362630

I have pain radiating from right hip down side of leg to calf

I have pain radiating from right hip down side of leg to calf where it stops. I remember sitting on a hard surface for several hours and my right hip started hurting. Could I have damaged a nerve somehow causing the pain?

Welcome to JA - sorry you are going through this, let me opine.

You likely have sciatica - inflammation of the nerves in the lumbo-sacral region --> especially the sciatic nerve.

Permanent sciatica happens after a disc bulge or injury. Sitting on it wrong can cause temporary inflammation and this usually resolves with time.

That said, here are somethings one can do at home to expedite the healing process:

- stretching

- high dose anti-inflammatories like naproxen around the clock for 2 - 4 weeks

Does this help?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This has been going on for two years now. Do you still agree with your assessment?

2 years? then likely not temporary sciatica.

This is still likely Sciatica but now from a different cause - lumbar disc strain. You should have a MRI of your lower spine to clarify this.

If it is sciatica (and it likely is), the following will help:

- weight loss

- exercise/yoga/stretching

--> Try these: http://www.spineuniverse.com/conditions/sciatica/exercises-sciatica-spondylolisthesis

Also, because this a nerve pain, regular pain meds like ibuprofen or naproxen don't always help chronically. Instead, one needs neuropathic meds such as:

- neurontin

- Lyrica

- Cymbalta

Of course, one should be evaluated for other process as well which mimick this including:

- diabetes

- ANA for auto-immune diseases

- Vitamin B12/folate/thiamine/iron deficiencies

- Anemia

- HIV

Does this help?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

One last question please, I've tried to mildly exercise and stretch already, but it hurts later when I try to sleep, as though I have aroused the sleeping giant. Should I go ahead and keep exercising and in time it might get better? Or will it exacerbate the problem?

Thank you for your help.

YOu should do light stretching - but only do the ones seen in the video.