Ask Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurolog...
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor
Experience:  Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.
19824690

I HAVE EXPERIENCED AN ITCHING, CRAWLING SENSATION AROUND MY

I HAVE EXPERIENCED AN ITCHING, CRAWLING SENSATION AROUND MY LABIA FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS. THIS SEEMS TO WORSEN FOLLOWING URINATION. I ALSO FEEL PRESSURE, POSSIBLY SWELLING OF THE URETHRA. I HAVE BEEN TESTED FOR UTI AND YEAST INFECTION AND BOTH TESTS WERE NEGATIVE. AS A PRECAUTIIONARY MEASURE, I WAS TREATED FOR BOTH ANYWAY. TODAY, I LOOKED CLOSELY AT THE URETHRA OPENING, AND NOTICED A PALE YELLOW MILKY DISCHARGE. I ALSO HAVE AN ITCHING, TINGLING SENSATION IN MY URINARY TRACT. I SCOURED THE INTERNET AND FOUND VERY LITTLE REGARDING MY SYMPTOMS. HOPEFULLY, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO HELP ME. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION. FOR CLARITY, THE TREATMENT I RECEIVED AS A SAFETY MEASURE DID NOTHING. TONI
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 7 years ago.
Is there increased frequency of urination , burning during micturation, fever or chills etc?
Was urine culture and sensitivity test done?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
NO, NONE OF THE ABOVE SYMPTOMS. YES, A URINE CULTURE SENSITIVITY TEST WAS DONE, AND WAS NEGATIVE.
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 7 years ago.
Was the urine culture test done after or while having antibiotics?
How many days back test was done?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THE URINE TEST WAS DONE PRIOR TO HAVING ANTIBIOTICS. THE TEST WAS DONE THREE DAYS AGO.
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology replied 7 years ago.

When the discomfort, pain, burning worsens after urination, it often indicates bladder condition.
If you are absolutely certain that the discharge is coming from the urethra, this can be purulent discharge or mucous one.
If you are sexually active, it would probably be prudent to do STD screening even if you use protection.
A test called cystoscopy evaluates the urinary bladder by directly visualizing the tissues. You should ask your PCP for a consultation with a urogynecologist so that cystoscopy can be done.

I hope this helps.

Experience: Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I AM NOT SEXUALLY ACTIVE, AND I HAD PLANNED TO SEE A UROLOGIST. IF A UROGYNECOLOGIST IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME IS A UROLOGIST QUALIFIED TO PERFORM THE TEST YOU RECOMMEND? YES, I AM ABSOLUTELY SURE THE DISCHARGE IS FROM THE URETHRA. I USED A MAGNIFYING GLASS WHEN CHECKING.

Either a urogynecologist or a urologist can do your evaluation. A urogynecologist is a gynecologist with subspecialty training.
A urologist is perfectly apropriate and will be probably easier to see and go ahead with the testing.

Best wishes.