Dr. Lori
Dr. Lori, Board Certified Family Physician
Experience:  13 yrs+ in full scope Family Practice.Extensive experience w/ chronic diseases.
23307758

WHAT IS THE WEIGHT LIMIT ON A STANDARD MRI SCAN

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 7 years ago.
Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

There are no such specifications mentioned. The patient should however feel comfortable on the MRI table during the procedure.

Here is a link to clear some common doubts during the MRI procedure.

I hope my answer was helpful to you.Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Lori replied 7 years ago.

Actually, I would like to offer a different answer.

First, if depends of the MRI is open or regular standard kind. Regular MRI's all have a weight restriction based on what the table can hold, and the odds of a larger person being able to fit through the scanner. It depends upon the machine brand and how old it is. Every closed MRI has a different weight specification. Any MRI facility will be happy to tell you. The typical limit for table weight is 350lbs.

An OPEN MRI (as in the above link in the previous post) usually do not have such limitations.

Here is a brochure regarding the very subject which discusses this in depth.

http://www.medical.siemens.com/siemens/en_US/rg_marcom_FBAs/files/brochures/cs_diagnostic/obesity_HT_v12.pdf

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions for clarity.

My best--