How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 7827
Experience:  Physician with 8 years of experience.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hip..cane, I woke with searing pain down entire leg (one bad)

This answer was rated:

two months after total hip replacement, and rapid rehab including successful walking with a cane, I woke with searing pain down entire leg (one bad) it was paralyzed for a minute until I could get up. Paralysis went away but pain moves like a cramp whenever I move around, I cant sleep, and now walking now is difficult even with a walker. What happened? Surgeon says potassium too low?
what all tests have been done by your physician?

Edited by Dr Sumit Bassi on 4/25/2010 at 3:34 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
complete blood workup

I am sorry to know about your symptoms,

Based on what you mentioned,it does seem hypokalemia(low serum potassium) is a most likely cause of your symptoms as it may cause similar transient muscular paralysis,as it may also be seen in a individuals with a gene mutation and present with hypokalemic periodic paralysis.Your symptoms at present (musle weakness and pain)will subside when your serum potassium will come slowly at normal range.The physician cannot supplement too much potassium too quick as it may lead to complications like arrhythmias.
Nerve impingement as a possible cause seems less likely as it would have not presented with paralysis ,would have presented with pain radiating to lower leg,so this as a possibility seems less likely.
I will advise that you ask your physician to monitor your complete metabolic profile at regular intervals as other imbalance of electrolytes like serum magnesium,calcium also can be montiored with serum potassium as their imbalance too may cause similar symptoms as yours too.


Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button so that I may get credit for my work.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.

Dr. B. and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you