How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Brims Your Own Question
Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9616
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Brims is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Urine culture came back:" Mixed gram positive and gram

Resolved Question:

Urine culture came back:" Mixed gram positive and gram negative flora - 10,000 to 50,000 CFU/ml Multiple microorganisms present resembling urogenital flora. " Translation, please. Second round of antibiotics and still have bladder discomfort.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 7 years ago.
I want to clarify your question
Are you looking for a translation to this result?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, what does that culture mean? And why is it not responding to antibiotics> It should be gone after all that, shouldn't it?

The first P.A. was at urgent care. The second was a Dr. and she thought that the Cipro wasn't given for "long enough". Just thought I'd see what input you might have.


Expert:  Dr Brims replied 7 years ago.
The results show the normal bacteria that are present in your urogenital tract.This means that they are supposed to be there, and are not harmful.They may actually lead to a problem if thy are not present, because it may lead to growth of bacteria that will actually cause an infection,because there will be none of the normal flora to compete with them.That may lead to a urogenital infection.

This result means that you do not have a urinary tract infection

If you still have discomfort you may have something irritating your urinary tract, and might want to consider seeing a urologist for a cystoscopy ,which will visualize your bladder

Hope this helps
let me know if you have any questions

Hope this helps
Dr Brims and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you