How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.tiwari Your Own Question
Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5256
Experience:  M.D.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr.tiwari is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a hard lump on my heel tendon which is painful and getting

Resolved Question:

I have a hard lump on my heel tendon which is painful and getting bigger.
I am also having a sharp pain in the same tendon on my right foot.
I think I have something similar happening behind my knees too...... no lumps but cramp-like sensations (spiking) on the tendons.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Will you please answer some questions-
1.Since when it is there?
2.Is hard lump is at the top of heel?
3.What are the aggravating or relieving factors for pain at heel?
4.Is there any history of trauma?
5.Are you suffering from any chronic disease like diabetes/thyroid disorder,etc.?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I noticed it early this year. It was sore and I could feel the lump easily.

The lump is actually on the tendon running from the heel up in behind the ankle. When I dip/wiggle the foot holding the tendon the lump is actually on the tendon.

I seem to get a 'spikeing' pain at the lump and likewise on the other foot as well at the tendon but there isn't a lump on the right one.

I did have a severe ankle sprain in the late '80's for the left leg. Leg was in plaster for 10 weeks. I could see the little dots of bone on the xray pulled up and off the foot at three places. No broken bones as such.

Don't have diabetes or thyroid that I know of. My younger sister has to take tablets for an inactive thyroid, I think. I am 5ft 6 inches tall and weigh 105kg.

Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for information.

By looking at your previous history of trauma it looks that most probably you get injury to your tendoachillis,which would have teared partially.Also this looks to be most probable reason why your doctor prescribed for cast application.
The present swelling looks to be due to formation of extra tendon cells in that as a result of healing process.Due to irritation of this extra tissue you may have pain in that area.You can do following to have relief-

1.You may take some analgesic like tylenol,advil or aleeve for relief of pain for few days.

2.Consult to a good physical therapist who may apply ultrasound,infra red ,etc.This will be very helpful in relieving the pain.

3.Take an additional doses of vitamin C & E which are very helpful in strengthening the tendon.

Hope all this will help you.

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.

Dr.tiwari and 5 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you