Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a hard lump on my heel tendon which is painful and

Customer Question
getting bigger. I am also having...
I have a hard lump on my heel tendon which is painful and getting bigger.
I am also having a sharp pain in the same tendon on my right foot.
I think I have something similar happening behind my knees too...... no lumps but cramp-like sensations (spiking) on the tendons.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
4/8/2010
Doctor: Dr.tiwari, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr.tiwari
Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Will you please answer some questions-
1.Since when it is there?
2.Is hard lump is at the top of heel?
3.What are the aggravating or relieving factors for pain at heel?
4.Is there any history of trauma?
5.Are you suffering from any chronic disease like diabetes/thyroid disorder,etc.?
Please reply.

I noticed it early this year. It was sore and I could feel the lump easily.

The lump is actually on the tendon running from the heel up in behind the ankle. When I dip/wiggle the foot holding the tendon the lump is actually on the tendon.

I seem to get a 'spikeing' pain at the lump and likewise on the other foot as well at the tendon but there isn't a lump on the right one.

I did have a severe ankle sprain in the late '80's for the left leg. Leg was in plaster for 10 weeks. I could see the little dots of bone on the xray pulled up and off the foot at three places. No broken bones as such.

Don't have diabetes or thyroid that I know of. My younger sister has to take tablets for an inactive thyroid, I think. I am 5ft 6 inches tall and weigh 105kg.

Thanks for information.

By looking at your previous history of trauma it looks that most probably you get injury to your tendoachillis,which would have teared partially.Also this looks to be most probable reason why your doctor prescribed for cast application.
The present swelling looks to be due to formation of extra tendon cells in that as a result of healing process.Due to irritation of this extra tissue you may have pain in that area.You can do following to have relief-

1.You may take some analgesic like tylenol,advil or aleeve for relief of pain for few days.

2.Consult to a good physical therapist who may apply ultrasound,infra red ,etc.This will be very helpful in relieving the pain.

3.Take an additional doses of vitamin C & E which are very helpful in strengthening the tendon.

Hope all this will help you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Dr.tiwari
Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Dr.tiwari
Dr.tiwari
Dr.tiwari, Doctor