Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

How can herpes be dormant before yoru first outbreak? The

how long can herpes be dormant before yoru first outbreak? The reason I ask it that I have been with my husband for 7 years and I may have the virus pending the test resutls back. Is it realistic that he hasn't been unfaithful? I don't believe the virius can be dormant this long. PLease advise.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 years ago.

What herpes infection you are talking about?

oral lesions, genital lesions or shingles ( body lesions)?

Have your husband ever had herpes breakout?

Do you have any other medical conditions?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

genital

a year ago he had a yeast infection on his gentials...doctor said it didn't look like herpes so he was never tested.

no other medical conditions

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the details.

Then i have to break the bad news.

You likely got the infection from your husband.

It is very rare in an immunocompetent individual like you to get reactivation of the virus after 7 years.

The probable route is sexual from your husband, if you do not have any other sexual partner.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He is the only person I have been with for 7 years. if it ends up being positive then it would have had to been transmitted to be within the 7 year period, correct?

I was recentnly diagnosed with a bacterial and yeast infection from a tampon I forgot about for a week. This is what sparked all of this. It is possible of have a break down in skin that could present and possible look herpetic?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 years ago.

To confirm herpes infection, serology & virology studies need to be sent.

If one partner is an asymptomatic carrier of the herpes, then virus shedding can happen during anytime in 7 years infecting the other partner.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry I don't understand your response. Can you restate? Are you saying he could have transmitted it through shedding of the virus during the 7 years which means he contracted it prior to me?

Can you address my question on bacterial and yeast breaking down the skin to possibly present as herptic in nature?

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 years ago.

Yes, correct.

He could have contracted before you, but can shed viruses even without symptoms transmitting to you.

bacterial & yeast infection do not look like herpetic.

But, bacterial or yeast infection can make you more prone for herpes infection due to the break in skin.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are there any other possiblites beside herpes? I know I need to wait for the test results but I'm trying to gatehr as much information as possible? Do I trust that my husband wasn't unfaithful? I have many doubts that I'm not sure how to handle.
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 years ago.

Herpes lesions usually comes in crops blister like.

But, it also causes pain, sometimes pain without any lesions.

Otherwise, this can also be a eczema or allergic dermatitis, bacterial or yeast infection.

A wound culture will decide that.