How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. S RIAZ Your Own Question
Dr. S RIAZ, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2822
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. S RIAZ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you unlock a frozen Knee? I happened while I slept.

This answer was rated:

How do you unlock a frozen Knee? I happened while I slept.


You need to see an orthopedic surgeon to find the cause behind your problem. You may be having a knee spasm due to truama, arthritis, nerve compression, electrolyte abnormality etc. Trauma could be in the form of a torn piece of cartilage or there may be a losse bone fragment resulting from a disease called osteochondritis dissecans. There could be a misalignment of the bones and muscles around the knee. Treatment will differ depending upon the cause. Imaging may also be required. You need to see an orthopedic surgeon. Thanks and best wishes.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There was no trauma, Happened while I slept! No misalignment. I have been an EMT for many years. It is frozen in the bent position

You may have sustained trauma while sleeping which probably did not realize. It could also be a pseudo lock also i.e. just a reaction to pain. The pain does not allow you to bend or straighten up the knee. A locked knee may sometimes unlock after some rest but remember that serious damage may be done to the knee joint if it's because of a loose piece of cartilage or bone. So, it's important that you see an orthopedic surgeon for examination and possibly imaging. Thanks and regards.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there some way to release the pressure?

You should take rest and if pain is present you can take a painkiller like Ibuprofen till you see an orthopedic surgeon. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been resting all day. Rest, Ice, compression and elevation.

In that case you should see a doctor now. Delay in treatment could be harmful. You can even consider going to the ER. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not want surgury. Is there some way to relieve the pressure to free it up.

Why are you thinking of surgery at this time. Conservative treatment may be sufficient. First let the diagnosis get confirmed. Thanks and regards.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Because you said to see a surgeon. All they ever want to do is cut. I don't want surgery because I almost died 4 years ago from MRSA and gallbladder surgery. So non-invasive is what I need.

Not all surgeons are like that. You might had a complication last time but it's not necessary that you will have it every time. Do not be so biased about doctors. You should also first confirm the diagnosis. Even if surgery is required you can always get a second opinion. At this point, it's important to first confirm the diagnosis. I hope, you understand. Thanks and best wishes.

Dr. S RIAZ and 6 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your suggestions and best wishes to you too. Having worked in the ER..there are no magic bells or is just what it is..

Thank you for your help tonight.
You're most welcome.