Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My left fingers are turning blue but I feel fine otherwise.

My left fingers are turning blue but I feel fine otherwise. I went to the doctor and
they did a blood test for B12 deficiency, arthritis,sugar and some other things and it
came back normal. This was 10 days ago and now I have the same symptom again.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to JA

Can i ask along with the change in color does your hand go cold as well?
Any numbness or weakness in the hand or arm?
IS the right hand affected as well?
Any other medical conditions? medications?
Any loss of hair etc?
Any pain in the hand?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any numbness or weakness in the hand or arm? a little weakness no numbness
IS the right hand affected as well? no
Any other medical conditions? medications? no
Any loss of hair etc? no
Any pain in the hand? no
Thanks for the additional information,

This sounds to be like raynauds phenomenon which is a condition in which the arteries or the vessels supplying the fingers constrict cutting off blood supply to the finger for a short period of time and thus causing the fingers of the hands to turn white and then blue. This cna be an indicator of an underlying disease or can be an entity by itself.Once the spasm of the arteries resolves the fingers turn back to red due to inflow of blood back into the fingers.

Now as i said this can indicate any underlying disease such as RA or even scleroderma which would also show thick skin and other signs as well. This can also indicate another disorder of the blood vessels such as vasculitis and this can cause vessels to be affected all over the body. If you are a smoker then this pehnomenon would occur more commonly and you would also be more prone to developing a disease known as Buergers disease which causes damage to the small vessels in the hands or feet.

Now sometimes no known cause is present for this problem and in such a case raynauds phenomenon is termed as idiopathic and treatment is started after ruling out all the other possible causes.

the treatment is mostly conservative with avoiding factors which can trgger this like cold, trauma, certain drugs, smoking etc. ALso drugs which dilate the blood vessels such as calcium channel blockers are also used. Lastly surgery can be dopne as well to prevent the arteries from going into spasm.

here is some detailed information about raynauds phenomenon,

http://www.medicinenet.com/raynauds_phenomenon/article.htm

I hope this helps

If I have been helpful,

Please click the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUSES are always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.