Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Echogenic kidneys is suggesting medical renal disease. What does this mean?

Echogenic kidneys suggesting medical renal...
Echogenic kidneys suggesting medical renal disease means: ? ; and what specific medical renal disease could be involved ? ThankYou
3/29/2010
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to JA and thanks for the question,

Can you tell me a little bit about the symptoms of the patient so i can be more specific?
Do you have any results of serum urea or creatinine levels?
Is the patient passing urine ? decreased or increased?
Any other medical conditions? medications?

Dr. Ali, Thank You for your prompt concern about my question; the patient being treated for hypertension which is fully under control, using ACE (vasotec) but recently changed to Cardura because of "three bouts" of angiodema.

Urea is within normal parameters, and creatinine (recently tested) was 1.19 also within normal limits, although showing a steady slight increase.

Please tell me after taking the Ultrasound test indicating Echogenic Kidneys what should the NEXT STEP/TESTS that should be done; and can you suggest an "expert" kidney doctor in the New York (Manhatten)/ New Jersey area. JAMES

Thanks for the additional information,

Well i think ill open this question to other doctors as i have a patient to attend to in ICU and i wont be able to help you in regards ***** ***** doctor you need to go to in the Manhattan or new jersey area, for that ill refer you to other colleagues who will be able to guide you in this regard.

Please dont reply here as other doctors wont be able to get to this question.

Dr. Ali, I'm confused as to what "I need to do " concerning you answering my question.

Am I to wait for your reply 'later' or other doctors/doctors will take the questions I sent you and give me their opinions/reply. PLEASE LET ME KNOW....Thanks

I have referred your question to another colleague so you need to wait while he gets to it, Dont reply here to me again as that will lock the question exclusively for me and others cant get to it...so you need to wait, if no one answers your question by the time im free from the patient in the ICU ill get to it but until then you need to wait
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

I will try to help you with your queries.

As per the information you provided, it seems the patient's kidneys are functioning well.

Echogenic kidneys usually refer to the diffuse kidney disease.

Due to this finding,

you will need to see a kidney specialist ( nephrologist) for further evaluation.

There are lots of excellent kidney doctors in the Manhattan area.

I will suggest you try to contact Columbia Presbyterian Hospital for a consultation with their nephrology department.

This is the link:

http://nyp.org/services/nephrology.html

Dear Mystic Doc, It is now Tuesday, March 30, 10:48 AM, and I just retrieved your answer to me.

I also appreciate your suggestion contacting "Nephrology, New York Presbyterian?Weill Cornell" for further evaluation and plan doing.

But one question I have: you say "echogenic kidneys usually refer to the DIFFUSE KIDNEY DISEASE"; please explain, ie, what , for example, could be the specific medical renal disease, because a report came back with the comment: "imaging of the kidneys demonstrates the kidneys to be SOMEWHAT COURSE IN THEIR ECHOGENICITY"...I await your comments?answer...ThankYou

Thanks for your reply.

Coarse echogenicity usually refers to the possible damage to the glomerulonephrotic degeneration. Glomeruli & nephrons are the functioning units of the kidneys.

This can be due to the autoimmune diseases, diabetes, or hypertension.

More investigation is required for better characterization of the ultrasound findings.

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist