Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
5101698

Does diving extend the half-life of diazepam and increase

Does diving extend the half-life of diazepam and increase tissue uptake?
Metabolism studies have indicated that oral diazepam is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Peak blood levels are reached within 1-2 hours. The acute half-life is 6-8 hours with a slower decline thereafter, possibly due to tissue storage. With the parenteral form, peak blood levels are reached within 15 minutes after i.v. administration. The respective half-life is approximately 2-3 hours.
Diving should not extend the half life directly.
May be this link will help:
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=81
Wish you well. God bless
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Did you even read the article?

Valium, for example, has a halftime of about 44 hours in younger people (higher in older people, lower in some others). Forty-four hours after taking a five-milligram dose (5 mg) for example, about 2.5 mg are still in your body.

Your answer was standard textbook but then you throw in a link that contradicts it. Well, thank you for your time.

Hi

Can I ask to what depth we are talking here?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
30 to 50 metres.

Thanks

Do you take diazepam on a regular basis?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Intermittantly - maybe 2-3 times a week.

Thanks

As you take diazepam this often then you will have a more or less constant level of it or it metabolites in your blood. ( you are at a "steady state").

Whilst an increase in partial pressure can increase the fat distribution of drugs - giving rise to an apparent increase in volume of distribution which would elongate the half life - I would conclude that as you are at a steady state already that diving would make only a very small increase to the elimination half life of your diazepam.

Clearly the duration of exposure to pressures above atmospheric is an issue - the longer the exposure the more obvious the effects.

Hope this answers your question.

If not I will be on-line for the next 45 mins or so.

Dr Jef

Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.