Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had constant loose stools for 3 months sometimes

Customer Question
watery other times just very...
I have had constant loose stools for 3 months sometimes watery other times just very loose. I have an excessive amount of gas and very large bowels noises. I have a bloated abdomin and it is very verytender and cramps. I have less controls over the expulsion of the gas it just comes out while walking generally constantly. It smells bad so do the stools
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
3/24/2010
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Im sorry to hear about your problem,

Can i ask do you have any change in color of stools? any blood or mucus in the stools?
Do the stools float in water? and difficult to flush?
Does the diarrhea occur after intake of certain foods?
Any rashes on the body?
Past medical conditions? medications?
Any use of alcohol?

Stools float on the water alot of mucus. Colour is very dark black/brown. No blood I think. no rash. No alcohol.

There feels like a constant pressure on my bowels. I eat food and then have to go. The cramps are very uncomfortable. Constantly tired no matter how much sleep I get. Really fed up now and embarressd to go to Doctor.

Thanks for the additional information,

Ok so this is a serious problem for which you DO have to visit a doctors office, the reaosn im saying this is because i believe that you have one of the two following disorders or even both of them occuring at the same time.

The first concerning feature of your history is that of dark black stools which indicate melena. This means that you are losing blood in your stools and this blood is coming from the stomach or first part of the intestine. The passage of the blood through the intestine is turning it black. Now the loss of blood can be due to several causes such as ulcers in the stomach or even gastritis which is inflammation of the lining of the stomach. In addition it can be due to an infection of the stomach by a bacterium known as H.pylori which can cause the loss of blood in the stool as well. Now this is a serious condition because this can lead to shock or even other features such as tiredness,fatigue, shortness of breath and over time loss of blood slowly from the intestine can strain your heart and lead to congestive cardiac failure. Thats why you need to get this checked out as soon as possible.

Now the other features are characteristic of Malabsorption syndrome which is a syndrome in which you lose certain nutrients from the intestine via the stool because of the inablity of the body to absorb them .this can be due to an infection or loss of certain enzymes which digest those nutrients. This can occur in diseases like celiac disease which is commonly known as gluten intolerance or even in chronic pancreatitis. This can also occur in diseases such as bacterial overgrowth. Now the foul smelling stools which float in water are indicating that youre losing fats in your stools which is unable to be digested in the body. Now this requires an extensive workup and the following tests MUST be done such as,

STool RE
Stool CS and examination for ova and cysts
Stool for fecal elastase
ESR
CBC and serum electrolyte levels alongwith albumin and total protein levels
Colonscopy
Endoscopy and biopsy
Anti TTG levels

These are the baseline tests which would be done and once the cause of your problem is discerned then you can be treated accordingly. But i MUST advise you to visit the doctors office because if this continues for a long period of time your body will be deprived of essential materials which it requires to function and your kidneys liver and even heart can fail. Also you will continously waste away. So i would advise you to visit a gastroeneterologist as soon as possible

If I have been helpful,

Please click the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUSES are always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor