Ask Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurolog...
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor
Experience:  Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.
19824690

I woke up with my mouth pulling down to the left when

i woke up with my mouth pulling down to the left when talking and cannot bare my teeth evenly. I have tmj--or is this a mini-stroke?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Fahad replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
How old are you?
Any chronic conditions like Diabetes and hypertension?
The following steps in front of a mirror would help me answering you better.
Try closing both your eyes and let me know if you are able to close both simultaneously.
Try smiling or clenching your teeth and watch whether the angle of the mouth is pushed to one side predominantly.
Try getting some air in your cheeks and see whether your able to sustain it.
and lastly see whether you can align your upper teeth to lower one.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm 51,have asthma and tmj, take no meds but rescue inhaler (ventolin). Eyes close simultaneously, easily sustain air in both cheeks, upper and lower teeth align.
The pulling-down, to the left side of mouth when talking began last night. this a.m. it was pronounced---w/ right lower side impaired mobility.
As the day progresses, all problems seem to be resolving, with normal functioning returning as I exercise the right lower lip and jaw.
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology replied 7 years ago.
Customer

Can you whistle as you normally would?

Can you raise your eyebrows evenly (are they symmetric in the mirror)?

Eyes close simultaneously but can you close the left one as tightly as the right one?

Were you slurring your speech?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
to questions1-3. My speeech seems dentalized as my right lip isn't moving with full range-of-motion
OK. This hopefully should rule out a peripheral (facial) nerve problem.
If your jaw was mis-alinged because of the TMJ capsule disruption, you would most likely have pain and would probably feel and hear a click.

I recommend you do get evaluated promptly and have a brain MRI since the symptoms seem to be confined to your cheek and mouth which suggests this may have been a stroke even if the symptoms partially resolved.
Experience: Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.