Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm having pain n the pit of my stomach, under my arm and

around to my back under...
I'm having pain n the pit of my stomach, under my arm and around to my back under my rib cage. The pain is so sharp at times it takes my breath away, it also has a burning sinsation when I lie down to sleep, so I'm not getting much sleep either. What kind of physician should I see? And what kind of problem might I have?
3/18/2010
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question.
What is the location of pain in abdomen (right or left)?
Nausea and vomiting ?
Heartburn ?
Sweating ?
Is pain radiating to arm , neck ?
Bloating and flatulence?
Are you overweight?
Any other medical history (hypertension, diabetes?
Stress and anxiety?
Are you taking any medications ?
Since how long have you been suffering from?

The pain is not in my ab, it's in the pit of my stomach just below my breast in the center. It does not radiate into my arm, it's under my arm, almost a half circle around my body into my back. The pain burn in my back, but is a constant ache in my stomach. I have no appendix, lost those 18 yrs ago. I weigh 139 lbs, I started a weight loss program 3 weeks ago and have lost 13 lbs. I'm taking Phentermine 37.5 mg one time a day, I am having acid reflux when I lie down. Ocassional bloating. I am certainly stressed because my husband is serving in the Army in Kuwait and I'm single parenting 2 children ages 8 and 11.

As you describe you need to be seen by a doctor for a clinical examination and undergo Ultrasound Whole Abdomen , EKG , Chest X-ray , Chest Auscultation , Liver function test, Lipid panel for further evaluation.
Possibile causes include -
Gastro-esophageal reflux disease
Gallstone
Ischemic heart disease as sometimes heartburn , sharp pain , shortness of breath can mimic with the symptoms of underlying cardiac pathology.
In the meantime drink plenty of water and take OTC mylanta .
As you have shortness of breath and sharp pain i suggest you to visit ER ASAP.
I had an EKG 3 weeks ago before starting the weight loss program and the doctor said it was fine. I also had extensive blood work and all was good except my liver enzime was 59 and the doctor said that is elevated some. He asked me if I drink alcohol and I do not. He told me to follow up with my family physician which I did but he did not seem too concerned. I asked him to repeat the blood work in 6 weeks for me, which we are going to do. I'm see a gastrointerologist today.
Well Elevated liver enzymes indicate inflammation or damage to cells in the liver.
They can be elevated in following problems-
Gall bladder inflammation (Cholecystitis) associated with gall stone
Over use of NSAIDS like Tylenol
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
Viral Infection
As you have sharp pain radiating to back so there may be more likely possibility of Gall stone in your case or other liver related problem so it is advised to undergo repeat Liver function test ,Ultrasound Whole Abdomen for further evaluation.
Apart from this other possible cause include GERD(Gastro-esophageal reflux disease)
You should consult Gastroenterologist for further evaluation and management.
In the meantime take OTC mylanta and avoid NSAIDS.
If pain is intolerable visit ER .
I have been very healthy most of my life, but I'm concerned about my liver. What other liver diorders might cause this elevation?
Other common causes of elevated liver enzymes include:

Liver cirrhosis
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Hepatitis C
Alcoholic hepatitis

I suggest you to consult a Gastroenterologist for further evaluation and managment.
I hope this helps
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor