Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

My stool is loose and I just can't hold my poo? I don't have

Customer Question

My stool is loose and I just can't hold my poo? I don't have anxiety and overall I feel good. What do I possibly have???
Thanks,
K
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 7 years ago.
Hello
You seem to have loose stool for a while and proper investigation is required to pin point the cause. Infectious causes are usually related to acute diarrhea whereas chronic diarrhea is associated with wide number of causes such as malabsorption syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, IBS, food allergies, celiac disease,meds, malignancy. You can read more about it from click here. It's very difficult to pin point exact cause just on the basis of symptoms. Thus, you need a gastroenterologist for proper evaluation and investigation to confirm the diagnosis. You will need stool culture and fat content, blood test, ultrasound abdomen, and possibly colonoscopy. Based on the cause, treatment option are decided.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 7 years ago.
Hello
You seem to have loose stool for a while and proper investigation is required to pin point the cause. Infectious causes are usually related to acute diarrhea whereas chronic diarrhea is associated with wide number of causes such as malabsorption syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, IBS, food allergies, celiac disease,meds, malignancy. You can read more about it from click here. It's very difficult to pin point exact cause just on the basis of symptoms. Thus, you need a gastroenterologist for proper evaluation and investigation to confirm the diagnosis. You will need stool culture and fat content, blood test, ultrasound abdomen, and possibly colonoscopy. Based on the cause, treatment options are decided.