Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Are there any doctors in Mississippi that will subscribe

Methadone for someone who has...
Are there any doctors in Mississippi that will subscribe Methadone for someone who has done very well with it but lost her job and can not afford to go back to the clinic in Ala.
3/10/2010
Unfortunately, none of the experts here are going to be able to give you the name of a physician who would necessarily prescribe methadone (or any particular medication).

Methadone is used both for chronic pain and for treatment of opioid addition (heroin, oxycodone etc). When used for the treatment of addiction, federal law requires that this medication be prescribed by a licensed methadone clinic.

Any physician with a license and DEA registration can legally prescribe methadone for the treatment of pain. In my experience, the vast majority of physicians who prescribe methadone are pain management physicians.

Your best option would be to contact the local hospitals in your area for the names of physicians who are involved with pain management.
Family Physician, Doctor