Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
5101698

My friend has been diagnosed with Gastroparesis. His G.I.

My friend has been diagnosed with Gastroparesis. His G.I. doctor wants an MRI of his stomach. What information will an MRI give regarding his condition? (He has already had a Colonoscopy, a Scope to look in his stomach, and liquid and solid gastric emptying tests.) What can be learned from the MRI?

Hi

To be perfectly honest this will not add anything unless his physician is not confident of the diagnosis and feels the need to exclude other pathology.

If this is not the case then the MRI will not add anything useful.

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could you give me some examples of other pathology that might be revealed by the Stomach MRI?

Hi

I assume that a MRI of the abdomen is to be done rather than just the stomach?

Lots of things could be seen - cancer in the liver , pancreas , bowel. Stones in the gallbladder. Adrenal tumors , kidney tumors/stones. Abscesses - really the list is very exhaustive!

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help! Just one more question: My friend's primary symptom is constant nausea. The solid gastric emptying test showed him to be abnormally slow in solid emptying. No drugs so far have helped. Would any of the problems that you list above account for his symptoms of nausea linked to slow solid emptying? In other words, is there reason to question the diagnosis?

Hi

The only one really would be a gastric outlet obstruction - but I assume he has had an upper GI scope already to exclude this?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he has had an upper GI scope and no obstruction was found. I know I'm asking very difficult questions, but I just wondered if there were some other specific possibilities that might show the same symptoms, but be, for example, Adrenal tumors?

Hi

Is he diabetic?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No -- at least he has never shown that problem in the past.

Thanks

That's interesting.

Has he ever had any gastric surgery?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. These symptoms appeared "out of the blue" about 10 months ago. As I mentioned above, he has had a number of tests, and his G.I. doctor decided on Gastroparesis. However, because my friend has not responded to any medications prescribed, the doctor wants an MRI of the abdomen. I am just wanting to know if there is another pathology that might show up that would account for his symptoms of continual nausea. Thank you so much for your help!

Thanks

Other than diabetes the most common causes of gastroparesis are..

Postviral syndromes, anorexia nervosa,surgery on the stomach or vagus nerve, medications, particularly anticholinergics and narcotics (drugs that slow contractions in the intestine), gastroesophageal reflux disease (rarely),smooth muscle disorders such as amyloidosis and scleroderma

Nervous system diseases, including abdominal migraine and Parkinson's disease

Metabolic disorders, including hypothyroidism

None of these will "show up" on a MRI scan - although you may see some features of amyloidosis.

Dr Jef