Medical

I've had numbness on my left thumb pad for a couple of days…

Customer Question
Hi there, I've had numbness...
Hi there, I've had numbness on my left thumb pad for a couple of days now. I'm caught between two diagnoses. 1. CTS - I'm a journalist and spend hours a day on my laptop typing. 2. I also sandboard. I took a nasty fall a week ago and heard my spine and neck clicking. But there are no other symptoms of neck pain or stiffness.
If I squeeze the... Read full answer
If I squeeze the base of the thumb near the wrist (at the trapezium and the scaphoid), there is distinct local pain. If I hold my hand down, flexing the wrist for 15 seconds there is pain (moreso that with the right wrist). These symptoms make me lean toward CTS. I have immediately put on my wrist guard (a preventative used when sandboarding) and I am avoiding typing with my left hand. What else can I do? Should I go see a doctor?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Medical
3/8/2010
Doctor: Dr.Sawhney, Doctor replied 9 years ago
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Dear Rob

I am an orthopedic surgeon and would be glad to help.

If the symptom is not too troubling you can wait for a few days while using a splint ( a splint would be effective in CTS if it keeps the wrist straight, any other splint or support would not help).
In many patients use of such a splint would make things better.If the numbness persists or increases a visit to a doctor should be taken.
Hi thanks. This is the wrist guard I am using. Will this do? http://www.consumer.org.nz/content/images/archive/07june-wrist-dakine.jpg
Dear Rob

This seems to have some bend at the wrist.Try to make it as straight as possible.This can be done as most of these splints have an aluminum support as a base.
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have wrist and thumb pain for 6mth I did fall but was ok
I have wrist and thumb pain for 6mth I did fall but was ok pain is getting worse and now up my arm thumb base I can put pressure on my wrist … read more
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
Doctor,
I have scaphoid wrist pain just wondering what may cause
I have scaphoid wrist pain just wondering what may cause this … read more
Edgar Rubio Villegas
Edgar Rubio Villegas
Emergency physician,
I all of a sudden have pain in my wrist and in doing some
I all of a sudden have pain in my wrist and in doing some research may be the trapezium … read more
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Assistant Professor, Critical Care,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a weird swelling and sharp pain in my right wrist
I have a weird swelling and sharp pain in my right wrist next to a vein on the lower side of my thumb, on the under side, have. Had it for a few minutes it comes and goes with overuse possibly … read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
I think I might have something called wrist bursitis? Where
I think I might have something called wrist bursitis? Where you take your pulse on my left wrist there is a small kind of blister under the skin. It's about the size of a small pea, maybe smaller. It … read more
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Staff Physician,
It has now been 16 days since I hit my hand. All the
It has now been 16 days since I hit my hand. All the swelling has gone down and while it is still sore its much better, but I still have some problems with gripping items. Should I be worried or is th… read more
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Consultant MD,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I developed CRPS in my hand and wrist 3 1/2 years ago after
Hello I developed CRPS in my hand and wrist 3 1/2 years ago after an accident in which I broke the scaphoid bone in my wrist. I had it in plaster for 3 weeks, and then in a splint after that for anoth… read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
I am currently fused from C-5 to T-1. I have had an anterior
Hi, I am currently fused from C-5 to T-1. I have had an anterior and posterior fusion at C-5 and C-6. A recent nerve test and EMG revealed nuerological problems on rt and left side which has explained… read more
I have a complicated question I need to have answered! In
I have a complicated question I need to have answered! In late April of this year, I started having trouble with my right wrist and hand. I had been streching out my wrists one night and the next day,… read more
Doctor,
I have a knot in my left forearm almost exactly half way
I have a knot in my left forearm almost exactly half way between my wrist and forearm. It feels like it is a pressure point and something to do with flexing my hand. My little finger is numb and lower… read more
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims
U.S. Licensed Physician,
I have had numbness in the fingers both hands, left side the
I have had numbness in the fingers both hands, left side the thumb and next finger, the right hand the middle two fingers. It has progressed quickly from no symptoms to numbness 24/7, I now also has w… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
U.S. Board Certified in Neurosurgery,
I have a type of injury to my Right wrist. There was no
I have a type of injury to my Right wrist. There was no trauma, but I have been lifting weights and doing push-ups. (P90-X work-outs, 3x week). The pain started slowly, feeling like a slight sprain. I… read more
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby
Family Physician,
Stop searching for answers—
I woke up yesterday morning with pain and stiffness in my
I woke up yesterday morning with pain and stiffness in my left hand and wrist area. Again this morning the stiffness and pain is worse and it seems to be inflamed around my thumb area with stiffness i… read more
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha
I fell on an outstretched hand 2 1/2 weeks ago and have a
I fell on an outstretched hand 2 1/2 weeks ago and have a possible scaphoid fracture. X rays at the time and at two weeks have not shown this and i have been given a splint. I have and pointed this ou… read more
Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid
PGR (Internal Medicine),
Howdy Folks Wed. nite I fell on ice. wrist is in alot of
Howdy Folks Wed. nite I fell on ice. wrist is in alot of pain. I tried ice late last night. I can move my fingers and thumb. Right now i'am wearing a Ace wrist stabilizer (Antimicrobial) it helps alit… read more
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Primary Care Physician,
I fell and broke my fall with my hands and have since had
I fell and broke my fall with my hands and have since had pain in the bones in the back of my letf hand, tenderness when pressing in the front wrist on the left (thumb side) about 1 1/2 inches down al… read more
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Primary Care Physician,
I am a female age 47. I need to know possible causes for
Hi. I am a female age 47. I need to know possible causes for feeling pressure under my finger nails, primarily under my thumb, index and middle finger of left hand. Thanks.… read more
FamilyMD
FamilyMD
CT Scan report says There is a subtle lesion in the volar
CT Scan report says There is a subtle lesion in the volar aspect of the proximal pole of the capitate with soursened trabecula and internal subtle lucency. This likely represents a benign hemangioma. … read more
Dr. G MD
Dr. G MD
Nephrologist and Consultant,