Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is septal dyskinesia?

Septal dyskinesia refers to a segment of heart muscle that is not moving properly. The heart has four chambers, two upper chambers, the atria, and two lower chambers, the ventricles. The septum if the layer of muscle that is between the two upper or lower chambers, called the interatrial septum and the interventricular septum respectively. The septal dyskinesia refers to the motion of the interventricular septum. Usually this septum moves inward to the left ventricle, assisting in squeezing the blood to the body. In some persons, the septum moves in the opposite direction, which is referred to as septal dyskinesia. It is most commonly due to damage to the muscle in this section of the heart, such as from a myocardial infarction. The primary concern and impact of this problem is adversely affecting the pumping action of the heart, which may lead to congestive heart failure. The risk of this now and in the future is directly related to the degree of heart damage and dyskinesia that is present. If mild, the long-term risk is low; if more severe damage is present, the long-term risk is greater. The risk is also affected by whether there are other factors that may affect the heart pumping, such as valvular disease. Your physician has already started you on medicines to help the heart pumping action. The other primary issue is to prevent any further damage to the heart, which includes the aspirin and risk factor reduction, such as controlling blood pressure and cholesterol.

Read full interaction below »

What is "septal dyskinesia" and how is it likely to affect me in the future. I had a double CABG plus repair to the mitral valve with a 34mm annuloplasty band in February 2007. I am 60 years old and also suffer from generalised osteoarthritis.
3/4/2010
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Dr. D. Love, Doctor