Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
5101698

My boyfriend has what looks like a boil right beside his anus.

My boyfriend has what looks like a boil right beside his anus. It has been there for 5 days and it almost looks like a very large skin tag. I did not see a head on it, but it has started bleeding and had been bleeding for 2 days now. I can't get him to go to a doctor because he does not want to miss work. Is there something he can do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.

Well there is possibility of perianal infection in the form of boils,Abscess and Perianal Dermatoses, which include a number of conditions including benign conditions like dermatitis to more severe and advanced malignancies.In my opinion , he needs to have a detailed clinical examination to exactly find out the cause for his symptoms.Some tests, including blood tests, and imaging studies may also be required.Its important to note that an early diagnosis directs an early treatment, and therefore prevents any possible complications.While awaiting consultation, he should maintain a good hygiene of the area, and should not scratch.In case of pain, he can take tylenol.There is nothing much to offer as self management, and he needs help of a doctor.

I hope i have been helpful.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
He is not wanting to go to the doctor because of work, so is there anything he can do from home to help with this?
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 7 years ago.

Hi

How far is this from his anus?

Is the skin red?

Is there a blueish tinge to the lump?

Is it painful?

Has he a fever ?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No fever, no bluish tinge it is like a lump of skin and is red and he says it is painful. It is on the very edge of his anus.

Expert:  Jef Burk replied 7 years ago.

Thanks

This certainly sounds like a peri-anal abscess although it may , less likely , be a thrombosed external hemorrhoid.

The usual treatment would be antibiotics +/- surgical drainage.

If a visit to the Dr is not an option then all he can really do is take pain relief and hope that it bursts soon by itself.

If he has a PCP it may be worth giving him/her a call to see if they would be prepared to leave him a prescription for an antibiotic.

Dr Jef

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Abscess.htm

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Haemorrhoids-(Piles).htm

Please get back to me if you would like to discuss this some more.

Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.