DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Pain between small toe and next. Exrays & MRI show some

Pain between small toe and next. Exrays &
MRI show some swelling, structure fine and
no tumors. How to resolve problem. Lots of
pain, with or without shoe
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 7 years ago.
There is irritation of the front of the tarsal area.
Probably the tendons or nerves suffering inflammation.
Three categories generally account fro foot pain: certain diseases such as morton's neuroma, high impact exercise, the wrong shoes.
Wide boxed shoes to give the toes and forefoot room are generally needed. Good support in the back of the shoe.
The MRI shoes swelling so I don't thing that tarsal tunnel syndrome is completely ruled out here. But, correct orthodic intervention from a podiatrist who has chosen to specialize in orthotics rather than surgery might help this.
Massage, heat or ice, which ever helps in the interim.
Resting the foot and avoiding impact.
Anti-inflammatory over the counter medicine might be indicated short term.
Good Luck
dt
__________________________
Please click accept to give answer credit. Bonuses help as does positive feedback. Medical and integrative medical questions answered. Answers for informational purposes only not to substitute for physician advice, diagnosis, treatment or examination.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I reseached both suggested diagnosis. It has nothing to do with the bottom of my foot

it is actually more on the top and slightly between. Any pressure really hurts. Have worn wide shoes for a month now.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 7 years ago.
Even an MRI can miss a Morton's neuroma, which is defined as selling of the nerve. Although this is one toe over compared to where it typically is.
A cortisone injection would be a definitive way to see if the inflammation can be reduced or relieved. My guess is that this is your next immediate step.
Podiatrist are not only orthodic specialists these days [and far more expertise than just recommending box toes shoes I might add], but are also experts in foot illness and needed surgical procedures...if you find a good one. I highly recommend this, having worked with good ones: the focus is completely on the foot. As a specialty.
dt
__________________________