Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I ask a question yesterday and I have a question about the…

Customer Question
I ask a question...
I ask a question yesterday and I have a question about the answer. I was told I have a compensated respiratory acidosis what is the causes of this and what does it mean? I had a lung function test that I failed real badly. I had a blood gases where my PCO2, HCO3, and my abe were high and my ph was normal. I have taken a ct of my chest but don't know the results yet. I just wondering what could be going on with my lung?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
2/21/2010
Doctor: Dr. B., Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Dear Ksb,

Compensated respiratory acidosis happens when there is underlying metabolic alkalosis(raised HCO3 levels) so the lungs retain the carbon di oxide to maintain normal ph of the body.The causes of metabolic alkalosis are vomiting,contraction alkalosis,shift of hydrogen ions into intracellular space or taking of medications like antacids for ulcer.

Thanks

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.Please click ACCEPT button to get my credit.POSITIVE feedback& BONUS are warmly appreciated. Please note that answer is for information only. It can't be a substitute to visit the doctor.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor