Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, Doctor
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 yr experience: primary care, OBGYN & women's health care.
18657704

My fiance experiences involuntary snorting when she wakes up

My fiance experiences involuntary snorting when she wakes up in the morning, and when she is really cold. How can she remedy it? She has normal allergies. The snorting is extremely loud, and she can't control it, and has to wait until she is done.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 years ago.

How much water does she drink per day?

How much caffeine?

Doe she sleep primarily on her back, side or abdomen?

For how long has she been experiencing this?

How tall (in ft and inches) how much does she weigh (in pounds)?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
8-10 glasses of juice per day. She has one glass of coffee from Starbucks a week. She sleeps on her side at first, but later she sleeps on her stomach. She has had this problem since high school, and she is 5'6 and weighs around 160. Also note she has Asthma, and uses an inhaler.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information.

Her snorting is a result of irritation of the mucous passages. This can result from a post nasal drip during the night but may also occur from the drying of the mucous membranes.

The second cause is the more common cause and is attributable to several factors. Overall hydration is most dependent on water balance, i.e. making sure one gets sufficient water in their diet as well as limiting things that tend to dehydrate. It seems she may not be getting sufficient water in her diet. Drinking that much juice per day increases the sugar in her diet which causes fluid retention not hydration.

Her body habitus leads me to believe that there is nasal passage restriction due to her being over weight. Encouraging her to get regular exercise and reduce her weight by as little as 10 pounds may make a significant difference.

Hope this is clear, if not let me know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the feedback, however I can't except this answer. My fiance can't control her nose at all. If this was just sneezing that would be understandable, but she is snorting. I know she's not doing it on purpose. She covers her face so she doesn't feel too embarrassed. I would be a fool to except water, and daily exercise as an answer. At least allow her the chance to observe her diet for a few weeks. This problem has been ongoing for years.
Can you at least point me us in the right direction with some similar cases on a website or book. Am I just supposed to tell her to drink water, and lose some wait every day? My marriage would end before it even got started.
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 7 years ago.
The most immediate fix for this problem is surgery. So a visit to an ENT Dr is the quickest way to resolve this issue. An evaluation is necessary to determine the type of surgical procedure to be done; however it may involve removing excess tissue in the nasal passages. In the mean time you may want to try the nasal tapes that help position the nasal passages in a proper position. These are available at most of the big box drug stores (CVS, Walgreen's, RiteAid).

Hope this helps. Don't forget to push the accept button for the answers given and so I can get credit for my time.