Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a small BLEB on my Lung apices. I would like to know

Customer Question
what causes this sort of...
I have a small BLEB on my Lung apices. I would like to know what causes this sort of thing?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
2/10/2010
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 7 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Blebs are small areas of the lung where blisters can form -- these are lung spaces that are abnormally large and filled with air (not part of the regular lung).

Many people can have a small bleb in their lungs normally.

Other people develop these blebs as a result of a lung disease, like COPD / emphysema, or other lung diseases. But this is more of a concern when your entire lung is filled with blebs, or has multiple blebs (and larger called bullae).

But in your case -- a bleb in the lung apices -- is where it is usually found, and not anything to be alarmed about. (It does put you at a higher risk of spontaneous pneumothorax, though that risk is still small as well).
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon