Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My fingernail has been detaching from the nailbed for awhile

Customer Question
now. Tonight ,while sewing, snagged nail...
My fingernail has been detaching from the nailbed for awhile now.
Tonight ,while sewing, snagged nail on fabric, it started to come out.
There is no pain. Only now a little soreness.
What do I do now? It's hanging there. I've put a bandage for now.
After treatment? Any ideas?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/6/2010
Doctor: Dr. B., Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Have you been diagnosed of any medical condition?
Have you seen a physician for your symptoms?

No I haven't seen a doctor or have I been diagnosed by anyone other than myself.

I'm a student of alternative medicine. Tryed everything. Or thought I have.

was there any history of trauma before the nail started to split?
is there any redness at nail site?
any puss?

Thanks for your patience
last week red and puss. Swollen, like it was ready to pop open. Soaked it ,then it drained. Felt better. Now falling out.
DearCustomer

I am sorry to know about your symptoms,

Based on what you mentioned,I will advise that you see the physician who can do a physical exam,as it seems that there is presence of underlying superimposed infection after a history of trauma to nail.The nail which is hanging as you mentioned,will have to be removed, for another nail to grow.Meanwhile you may get over the counter bacitracin cream which will help decrease the time of healing.You may take over the counter aleve if you have pain.I will also recommend meanwhile that you may use a bandaid over the nail bed which will also prevent infection and also may not appear uncomfortable to you as you described that you are in oublic eye.

Thanks

Did I mention that all my fingernails are affected? This is the first one to totally come out from the cuticle. Is there any type of artifical nail that can be worn until the new one starts to come in?
Thanks for exrta information,

I will not advise that use of artificial nails at present.I am mentioning this as The use of MMA in acrylic nails(used in artificial nails) has the potential for the loss of the natural nail as well as painful tearing if your nail should happen to break or get caught in something. It also has potential adverse effects in regards ***** ***** your all nails are affected,I will advise that you discuss with your physician about oncholysis and onchomycosis(due to fungal infection) as that would affect all the nails.As this time the nail came out from the nail cuticle so it points towards trauma or infection but a physician physical exam is needed to confirm it as it is a clinical diagnosis.

Thanks

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Doctor