Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My hip is larger on one side than the other and the bone

Customer Question
hurts. what could this...
my hip is larger on one side than the other and the bone hurts. what could this be and what should i do about it?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Medical
2/1/2010
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 7 years ago

Greetings.

Is there a deformity in hip due to which it looks larger?

Since how long is this?

What did the x-ray and MRI show?

Any significant past medical or surgical treatment?

Do you have pain in the night time and in rest also?

Dr. Arun

There is deformity now. How long? Under a yr.

I have not had a xray nor a MRI. I have issues with my lumbar and cervical that i am adressing now and forget about the hip when i am at the doctors. I have pain right now which brings it to mind right now.

Thanks for your answer.

All of our joints are connected and since spine is so integrally connected to the hip, any problem in the lumbar spine predispose for the hip problems because of abnormal weight bearing (which in turns occur due to either the protective spasm or our incorrect posture due to the pain). A larger joint look is likely due to the deformity and will warrant medical imaging like x-ray and MRI. The conservative therapy is following;

1) Hip care in the activities of daily living. Few simple self-care measures can be remarkably effective in ending pain cycle.

a) Avoid prolonged standing or walking or sitting with joint in a single position.

b) Squatting, sitting cross legged should not be done.

c) Avoid climbing stairs.

d) Avoid sitting legs unsupported or hanging.

f) Reduce weight if over weight/obese.

2) Rest: Taking a break from your normal activities reduces repetitive strain on your hip, gives the time to heal and helps prevent further damage.

3) Anti-inflammatory medications

4) Physical therapy; the goal of physical therapy is to strengthen the muscles around your hi and help you regain stability. Ideal is supervised physical therapy. Stretching exercises are also part of the physical therapy regime.

5) Glucosamine and chondroitin orally for about 1-2 years and a trial of diacerin for three months.

7) Local analgesic sprays and ointments to your skin may help relieve the pain and stiffness of osteoarthritis.

9) Deep Electrotherapy by physical therapist.

If these measures are not helpful in adequately relieving the pain; a total hip replacement will be best for you

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

I have taken glucosamine and chondroitin for many years now and it does help, especially the back -- why i started taking it in the first place. Knew that i would need an xray, mri -- but just havent addressed it yet.

The physical therapy, is the mainstay of the treatment. If the deformity is significant surgery would be the option; otherwise a conservative treatment can be pursued.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor