Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

I have had a bad bruise like pain on the back of my skull on

Customer Question

I have had a bad bruise like pain on the back of my skull on the left side for almost 3 days now. I didn't hit my head and there is no lumps or swelling that I can tell. I can barely lay my head back, which makes it very hard to sleep. The pain doesn't come and go it just stays the same intensity unless I push on it. When I push on it for a few seconds it feels a little better for a few minutes, but it doesn't completely go away. I'm starting to get worried. What could be wrong?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 7 years ago.

Dear Customer

Pain on back of skull located only on one side is likely to be due to occipital neuralgia. This pain is produced by compression on lesser or greater occipital nerves which can be produced by a number of causes.
You will need to see a doctor preferably a pain management doctor who can give a diagnostic block and pain relief with a diagnostic block confirms the diagnosis.
Certain medicines like anti depressants can be used to medically treat the condition. Steroid injections may also be used if medicines are ineffective.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
its at the very base of my skull on the left though. and it has only been going on for 3 days. its never happened before and it came on pretty suddenly. does this mean it won't likely go away on its own? is it something that can be dangerous? i read somewhere that it could possibly be an absess. is that possible?