Doctor Marcus
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US Trained, US Board Certified MD, Medical School Faculty Member
28702373

I have had pain in the base of my thumb pad (just above the

Hi. I have had pain in the base of my thumb pad (just above the knuckle, away from hand) for months. It only hurts in one spot, and not all the time. It seems to flare up when I grasp something in a strange way, only in that one spot. It is a sharp pain, oftentimes leading to me dropping whatever I grasped. I can't find anything similar online. Any thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Marcus replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. It seems that you are describing pain in one of the stabilizing "collateral ligaments" of the thumb. Would you mind telling me your age and if you have sustained any fall or other kind of injury that got your pain started?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm 36, female. It's only in my left thumb,and the same spot. There is no swelling, no visible discoloration. I don't recall any injury to my thumb. I think the first time I became aware of it was when I grasped something and had the horrible pain. It's not an everyday thing...pain only when there is direct contact with that one spot, and if it's hit a certain way.
Thanks for the additional information. If you do not recall any specific injury, you might have strained this ligament. When this happens, there are some things that you can do at home which might help. First, using an over-the-counter finger splint that you can buy in a drug store for a week or so can help the ligaments rest, avoid further irritation and allow the ligament to heal. If you feel that this is helping but that you have not completely recovered, sometimes an addition 1-2 weeks of rest can help complete the healing process. Using an over the counter anti-inflammatory (NSAID) such as ibuprofen or naproxen will treat the inflammation and pain associated with this. If you are not getting better with these measures, it might be time to see a doctor. I hope that this information is helpful to you, and please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just to be clear, because I'm not sure I described it well (and I looked up what you wrote about)...my pain is only in the spot of my thumb pad (the other side of the base of my thumb nail...if you drilled a hole through the white base of the thumb nail, the pain is where the hole will come through on the other side - forgive my lack of descriptive skill).

There is no pain below it, under the joints.

Thanks for your patience.
No problem at all. It is sometimes difficult to tell without an in-person exam, but it could also be at the site of the flexor digitorum profundus tendon. Since there was no acute injury, the initial treatment would be pretty much the same.