Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

When using ICD-9-CM codes, there are four main steps that

Customer Question

When using ICD-9-CM codes, there are four main steps that should be followed to make sure that the code is an accurate description of the diagnosis. Using the Library and other outside references, list and describe the four steps necessary to establish the proper ICD-9-CM code
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Are you doing this for becoming a coder?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
but I can not find one here any where were it tells me the four main steps. I have looked for two days and I keep getting a whole list of steps but they all seem important to me.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Are they asking to ensure that the code is correct?
Are they asking how do get a code, then go to the subcodes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Objective of Exercise- The use of the ICD-9-CM codes for the classification of diseases has been an important part of coding in the health care industry since the early 1900s. Briefly discuss what the purpose of this system is and what it covers. Using the resources available to you for this unit and any other resources you find, explain the four main steps that should be followed to make sure that the code is an accurate description of the diagnosis.

Cite your references in APA format. Post your paper as a Microsoft Word attachment. Name your paper, First Last name_IP2

Content and Development
60 Points Possible

Points Possible

Points Earned

Comments

All key elements of the assignment are covered in a substantive way. The paper:

• explains the purpose of the ICD-9 CM classification system

• explains the 4 main steps a coder would use to make sure a code is an accurate description of a diagnosis.

• Student explains the reasons for classifying diseases and how it relates to medical health records

8

8

8

6

• The content is comprehensive, accurate, and persuasive.

• The paper is at least1 to 2 pages in length.

5

5

Major points are stated clearly; are supported by specific details, examples, or analysis; and are organized logically.

10

The introduction provides sufficient background on the topic and previews the major points of the paper.

5

The conclusion is logical, flows from the body of the paper, and reviews the major points of the paper.

5

Readability and Style
20 Points Possible

Points Possible

Points Earned

Comments

Paragraph transitions are present, logical, and maintain the flow throughout the paper.

5

The tone is appropriate to the content and assignment.

5

Sentences are complete, clear, and concise. Sentences are well constructed, strong, and varied.

5

Sentence transitions are present and maintain the flow of thought.

5

Mechanics
20 Points Possible

Points Possible

Points Earned

Comments

The paper includes a title page, a reference page, that follow APA formatting guidelines.

4

2-3 Citations of original works within the body of the paper are used which follow APA guidelines.

5

The paper is laid out with effective use of headings, font styles, and white space.

3

Rules of grammar, usage, and punctuation are followed.

4

Spelling is correct.

4

Total Points

100

On Time? Yes-Full points

No- points off

Date Due:

Sun

1/17/2010

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
I don't think you are going to find a doctor in this section who can answer this - doing another question in the Homework section - I don't have privileges here to move questions - so, close this question - no additional charge and move to homework. Thanks.