Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

I suddenly found a lump in the middle of my neck at the

I suddenly found a lump in the middle of my neck at the front - size about 1 cm to 1.5 cms. underneath the skin. It started some 2 days before feeling like I was catching a cold. I am a female 48 years old. Do you think it is serious?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomerbr />
A lump in the middle of the neck can be caused by many different causes most common of which is thyroglossal cyst ( infected if painful).Other causes include thyroid adenoma, midline dermoid, laryngocoele or a subhyoid bursa.
This will need to be seen by a doctor and fine needle aspiration cytology is required to know the nature of the cyst but most causes are benign and easily treatable.