How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask M Javid, MD Your Own Question
M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 503
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
Type Your Medical Question Here...
M Javid, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have this "wet" feeling in my chest, around where my heart

This answer was rated:

I have this "wet" feeling in my chest, around where my heart is. The best way I can explain it is "soppy". Other words I use to describe it is that it feels like the noise made when a paper bag is blown up and released, kind of that raspy/krinkly sound translated into a feeling. Tests, including X-Rays, ultrasounds, bloodwork all come back normal. Any ideas what it is?
Do I understand correctly that you are saying that smoking resolved your symptoms?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Also is it just a feeling or there is actually a sound made or 'rattle' in the chest?

Are you a known asthmatic or have COPD? (Is that why you were on inhalers?) The steroids you used were oral or inhaled?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think there is a sound but the doctor does not hear one when I breathe and she listens with the stethescope.
Its possible that what you are having is related to early nicotine withdrawal, maybe aggravated by stress/anxiety. Chest tightness is well described as part of a cigarette cessation program. Should however resolve in a few days time. Some simple measures you could try are relaxation exercises, warm baths and breathing techniques.

There could also be more sinister causes, especially if you actually hear a 'rattle' or other sound. In addition to the tests you have already had, you would need to have your upper airway examined. The methods used are known as indirect and direct laryngoscopy. A neck XRay may be useful. A CT scan of the chest could also be done, as it is able to pick abnormalities that a chest XRay could miss. Finally a bronchoscopic exam to directly visualise the airways may be needed if your symptoms do not go away.

Hope the above information is of some use in discussing the various options with your doctor!

Please click "ACCEPT" if satisfied or feel free to ask any follow up questions. Positive feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
M Javid, MD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you