Dr. Dennis
Dr. Dennis, Doctor
Experience:  US GRAD, Board Cert: Internal Medicine, Fellow American College Physicians.
19562837

My doctor has me taking cymbalta every other day for two

Customer Question

My doctor has me taking cymbalta every other day for two weeks, I am having weird electrical type feeling in my head and muscles is this caused by the withdrawl of the cymbalta?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Yes, you can feel these symptoms as part of withdrawal symptoms.

These are caused by muscle spasms.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not the answer i was lookin for
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 7 years ago.

I see.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.

Hi Atimeves:

Cymbalta is a relatively new medication in the same class as Effexor. We do know that withdrawal from Effexor gives symptoms of electric shock type sensations. Though the withdrawal from Cymbalta is not that well documented, it could potentially similar symptoms of withdrawal as Effexor.

Instead of taking the Cymbalta every other day, I would recommend tapering the dose and taking it everyday for a few weeks, and then stopping. Are you cross tapering the Cymbalta with another antidepressant? Or are you taking Cymbalta for diabetic neuropathy? If you take another antidepressant as you are weaning off the Cymbalta, your symptoms may not be so severe. I hope this answers your question. Good luck!

Dr. P

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no
Expert:  FamilyMD replied 7 years ago.
Okay, I'll opt out also.
Expert:  Dr. Dennis replied 7 years ago.
This is one of the most disturbing sides effects upon withdrawal of SSRIs and SNRIs. It is called serotonin discontinuation syndrome and has symptoms like you experienced, which are what we call paresthesias, deizziness, shock like (i have been told by runners who stop that these are really distressful when running).
It can apparently go on for months after stopping as well, altho I have not seen this.
dr d
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

NO

I would suggest you stay on the med. I think it would be of benefit.