Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I found a lump this morning on my outer thigh. it doesn't

Customer Question
hi, i found a lump...
hi, i found a lump this morning on my outer thigh. it doesn't move and feels very solid. i am worried that it could be cancerous.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
1/9/2010
Doctor: Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is the lump painful with touch?

Is the surface color same as normal skin/

Do you think it has been there for sometime, or just this morning?

Is there a possibility of a bite of insect to it?

Is it itchy?

no it doesn't hurt to touch.

the surface is the same coluor

i have only felt it this morning but i think it has only been there now.

no bite, cos it doesn't hurt.

it was itchy this morning, but i thin that was cos i used a spray.

Thank you for your reply.

It appears that you have fat tissue reaction to skin irritation, causing lipoma. A lipoma appears as a smooth, soft to solid lump under the skin. Lipomas range in firmness, some feeling rather hard. The skin over the lipoma has a normal appearance.

Usually, a doctor can easily recognize lipomas, and no tests are required for diagnosis. Lipomas are not a form of cancer, and they rarely become cancerous. If a lipoma begins to change in any way, your doctor may do a biopsy (removal of a tissue sample for examination under a microscope). Treatment usually is not required, but bothersome lipomas may be removed by surgery or by liposuction (removal of fat with a suction device). For reassurance, I would suggest that when possible to mention this to your dermatologist or regular doctor for closer evaluation, especially if it grows in size or the surface change color.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Thank you so much. I've just noticed that the lump appears to be red and the lump itself is noticable on the outside. is this a good sign or is this something I would need to worry about?

Yours Thankfully,

Sarah

Thank you so much.

It's likely because you rubbed or itched it. It is nothing to be concerned about. I may apply topical Benadrly or 0.5% hydrocortisone cream lightly over the area twice daily to prevent any itching. If the lump or the area of redness increase in size with a clear center, I suggest that you should follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation. At this time, in the next few days you should observe it. In addition, you can apply warm compresses over the area twice daily.

You have been very helpful, thank you.

what signs or symptoms should i look out for that would indicate something more sinsister like cancer?

How do I know this is not a liposarcoma?

Sarah

Thank for your reply.

Increasing size, and change in the color of the skin over it (not redness); redness and irritation can be a sign that it's less likely a cancer. To be sure that it is not liposarcoma, I biopsy with pathologic examination will confirm it. Also, a liposarcoma will cause the skin over the lump to become darker with roughness/wrinkled surface.

I am on birth control and I am a mild smoker, would these have anything to do with the lump?

Also I have had fatty cysts before but I have been able to move them and they hurt or are tender to touch.

What could have caused this lump?

Yours Thankfully,

Sarah

Thank you so much.

In fact, the birth control (OCP) can cause it. Cigarette smoking will not cause. You do not need to stop you OCP, this will likely resolve with time. However, since you seem so worried, it might just be very reassuring to have your doctor look at it and biopsy it, and that will put all your concern to rest. May God bless. I trust you are fine.

Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon