Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had slight tingling in my left foot for about a

month. Now both feet...
I have had slight tingling in my left foot for about a month. Now both feet are experiencing the same feeling. What should I do at this point? I am one week short of 57 years old and am in otherwise good health. Thank you.
1/8/2010
HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician

There are many reasons that a person can have parethesias or tingling sensation of the feet. The 3 most common are metabolic, neuropathic and vascular. Metabolic reasons are those that occur because of vitamin deficiencies. These include such things as Vitamin B12 and folic acid deficiencies. This also includes conditions such thyroid and parathyroid gland dysfunctions which can cause hormonal disturbances leading to the tingling in your feet. Neuropathic reasons include such things as compression of a nerve or degeneration of nerve secondary to another condition such as diabetes. A compressed nerve root in your lower back or a "pinched nerve" near your ankle or knee can also sometimes cause tingling sensations. Finally, vascular reasons include those things that block the circulation of blood in your lower extremities. This can be because of artherosclerosis of the narrowing of arteries because of plaque build up. As you can see the list is fairly extensive and this is just the more common causes.

You next step should be to get a through medical work-up with your primary care physician. You doctor will do a complete lab work up as well which will help determine if you have any of the metabolic causes. He or she will also assess you to see if you have circulatory issues with your legs. Finally if your doctor feels your symptoms are neurological he/she will send you to a neurologist. The neurologist may consider doing EMG/Nerve Conduction Studies to evaluate the health of your nerves. If the cause of your tingling is neuropathic, you can be placed on medication such as Lyrica or Neurontin to help reduce the tingling sensation.

If you have any more questions, then please feel free to ask. If the above answers your question, then please press the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for responding to your question. Adding a bonus and leaving positive feedback will be greatly appreciated.

HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Thank you for giving me some direction. I just recently had blood work and of course it was probably not specific to the probable causes. I will follow up with my primary care physician and she can then better direct me what I should do next. If am pleased with the speed and thorough reply. Again, I say thank you!

You're welcome. Glad to be of service,

I'd appreciate it if you could press the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for responding to your question. Adding a bonus and leaving positive feedback will be greatly appreciated.

HouseDoc
HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician