Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

How to take care of skin graft donor site at home?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 7 years ago.
How long ago was the graft placed? What kind of graft? What for?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Its been 3 weeks that the donor site has been open. It scabs up but then it sticks to something and pulls the scab off. Its about 2.5 inches in dia. behind my left arm on my lat mucsle on my back. Don't know what kind it is but not very deep, maybe 1/16 inch deep.

Thanks for the additional information.

Well, in general, if the skin graft is sticking to your clothing and pulling off scabs, it is not ready for airdry. The deal with grafting is that it takes time for the skin to develop sebaceous glands to keep it moist.

Initially, which I imagine that you did, you used petroleum soaked gauze to protect the graft.

After it starts adhering, you do not need to used the soaked gauze, but you can apply a very thin layer of petroleum jelly to keep it moist. You should really keep it bandaged for the at least first month to protect it. After the month is over, you can continue to use the bandage during the day if it is a high friction area (which is sounds like it is) until it is healed.

http://www.rosarioskinclinic.com/PDF_Forms_Patient/WoundCareAfterSkin%20Graft.pdf

Warm regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IT'S THE DONOR SITE NOT THE GRAFT I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH.

The care is the same. You need to keep the donor site moist with jelly as it reforms it epithelial layer and the glands.