Medical

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about symptoms I've had…

Customer Question
I'm becoming increasingly concerned about...
I'm becoming increasingly concerned about symptoms I've had for at least a year. My left foot falls asleep; a condition often exacerbated when I'm sitting. Also, there's a dull ache in my hip/buttock which often radiates down my leg when I'm sitting. I've had an MRI of my lumbar spine, but those results were inconclusive. As a result of... Read full answer
I'm becoming increasingly concerned about symptoms I've had for at least a year. My left foot falls asleep; a condition often exacerbated when I'm sitting. Also, there's a dull ache in my hip/buttock which often radiates down my leg when I'm sitting. I've had an MRI of my lumbar spine, but those results were inconclusive. As a result of experiences shared with me by friends and acquaintances, and information I'm finding on line, I'm beginning to wonder whether I might have an an abscess that is impacting the nerve.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Medical
1/4/2010
Doctor: Dr. Amir, Doctor replied 9 years ago
Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Thanks for your important question. I would like to have few details from you. your age? any known medical illness like diabetes, hypertension or other like that? history of any injury to the leg?
In April of 2008 I spent two weeks in the hospital after having a cardiac arrest while being treated for massive Pulmonary Emboli. They never determined where the blood clots originated - which is another aspect that has piqued my curiosity. And yes, I have hypertension. Two years ago I was diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy. My understanding is that those conditions are ofthen paraneoplastic.

Thanks for your details. I reviewed your case with great detail and with much concern due to the type of discomfort you have. I will keep the things simple for you. I would say that there are following important possibilities which should be investigated in your case and these are like blood flow obstruction of the leg & foot vessels, DVT, brain lesion, vitamin B12 deficiency. I will advise these tests for you CT brain, doppler ultrasound of leg, serum vitamin B12 & folate levels, lipid profile. There is already peripheral neuropathy present in your case which also cause these symptoms slowly but I will strongly suggest to have the above tests to rule out the important other possibilities which I mentioned. Take vitamin B complex one tablet daily for three months & this will help in reducing your symptoms. Detail evaluation and further work up by Internist is essential for you.

Do ACCEPT the answer if you find it useful in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here.

Best of luck and keep in touch

Regards

Dr. Amir Javed

Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
All of the things you've recommended have already been done. Thank you.

You welcome dear and I can only tell you the available treatment modalities in medicine. I tried to help you by giving all the important possibilities. Best of luck and keep in touch.

Always here for your help and guidance. This means if nothing found in the above mentioned tests that your symptoms are due to peripheral neuropathy and you should go for the proper treatment regarding this to Internist or neurologist.

Regards

Dr. Amir Javed

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I am a 66-year-old woman with spinal stenosis. I've had
Hello: I am a 66-year-old woman with spinal stenosis. I've had three surgeries on my spine; both laminectomies and fusion. My last surgery was two years ago. I have recently developed severe groin pai… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
U.S. Board Certified in Neurosurgery,
I have a sever pain across my left top buttocks down in my
I have a sever pain across my left top buttocks down in my hip and follows down my leg. difficult to sit or stand. difficulty sleeping … read more
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
M.B.B.S
From Ireland. I have a severe pain in my Buttocks only when
From Ireland. I have a severe pain in my Buttocks only when I sit down. I believe I hurt myself overdoing it playing Tennis almost a year ago.Initially pains were down my legs and when it settled I wa… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
U.S. Board Certified in Neurosurgery,
Stop searching for answers—
I have had persistant pain on my right lower abdomen,
i have had persistant pain on my right lower abdomen, radiates to the midddle of my right buttock and my right hip, radiating down my back side of my right leg, for at least the last 6 months… read more
Ken
Ken
My left leg and buttocks ache daily sometimes clear down to
My left leg and buttocks ache daily sometimes clear down to the ankle. I have had a right hip replacement and it is wonderful. My Dr. retired and a new Dr. (orthopedic) suggested a cane and Aleve, wat… read more
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD
Internal Medicine Physician,
I have been diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis of the
i have been diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis of the right hip.it is not getting better despite physiotherapy,NSAIDS, Steroid injections and chirpractic and acupuncture help.After 9 months I am get… read more
Doctor,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
Low back pain. both sides. Stiffness and continuious pain
Low back pain. both sides. Stiffness and continuious pain like nerve or ache. Pain goes into leg and buttocks and hip. Two years now. No injury. Just came on suddenly. Stretching helps sometimes.… read more
Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil
M.B.B.S
I am having difficulty to walk. Pain from buttocks ,hips,
I am having difficulty to walk. Pain from buttocks ,hips, calf muscles. Numbness and pins and needles on foot. Xray of the lumbosacral shows straightening of the lumbar curvature. Dont know the cause … read more
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney
I am 57 years old and have pain in both hips which is
I am 57 years old and have pain in both hips which is neither constant nor intermittent -and almost in my buttocks really. It is definitely not sciatic pain. A couple of weeks ago, the pain in my righ… read more
Doctor,
Two years ago I had a significant fall that I believe
Two years ago I had a significant fall that I believe injured my sacrum/coccyx. I could sit with pain (gingerly) but it was breathtaking if I sat back against something that cupped my rear. This type … read more
Ken
Ken
I am 84 & have a numb cold aching pain and variable
I am 84 & have a numb cold aching pain and variable spasmodic numbness in my left buttock behind the hip radiating down the back ot my left thigh, leg, knee to pins and needles in the posterior half o… read more
Doctor,
I have a pain emanating from my right hip rear back and
I have a pain emanating from my right hip rear back and groin area. comes and goes.Not all the time. Up until now it didn't bother me to stand or walk. It started about 3 weeks ago when lying on my si… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
U.S. Board Certified in Neurosurgery,
Stop searching for answers—
What are the possible causes of my left leg feeling like it
What are the possible causes of my left leg feeling like it is going to sleep after sitting for a short period of time?… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
U.S. Board Certified in Neurosurgery,
A few weeks ago i hurt my back! Just sprained my lower back!
a few weeks ago i hurt my back! Just sprained my lower back! While it was injured, I took a good lick to my hip. It bruised up really good and I didn't think much of it. Well four weeks later and I st… read more
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Neurologist,
I have arthritis in my lower back and now pain is also in my
I have arthritis in my lower back and now pain is also in my hip and knee, all on the right side of my body. I'm unable to exercise, and now have been retired for two years with nothing to do but sit … read more
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Neurologist,
WHAT IS THE BEST TREATMENT FOR A PULLED MUSCLE ?..... ON A
WHAT IS THE BEST TREATMENT FOR A PULLED MUSCLE ?.....I'M ALREADY ON A MUSCLE RELAXANT, SOMA, WITH LITTLE RELIEF, AND FINISHED A MEDROL PACK. THE PAIN IS MOSTLY IN MY RT. UPPER THIGH, RADIATING TO MY H… read more
Doctor,
When should I consider back surgery for l4-l5-s1 disc
When should I consider back surgery for l4-l5-s1 disc herniation. I've had 2 surgeries, and the lower level has very little space between the discs. I also have cervical disc herniation at 5-6. What a… read more
Doctor,
I have had a sore lower back since I was about 18, a good 15
I have had a sore lower back since I was about 18, a good 15 years. It is worse in the morning, feels almost like my entire lumbar region is fused together. As I stretch and and walk it loosens up but… read more
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
U.S. Board Certified in Neurosurgery,