Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had numbness in my third and fourth toes of my left

Customer Question
foot for quite some time...
I have had numbness in my third and fourth toes of my left foot for quite some time. I also have extremely painful throbbing in my left thumb near the wrist of my left hand. Could these symptoms be related? What can I do to alleviate the pain and numbness?
I have tried Alleve twice a day, Ice treatment, heat treatment. HELP!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2009
Doctor: Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon replied 8 years ago
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
What about your pinky toe?

Do you have numbness on the top of the foot, or the bottom of the foot?

Does your wrist hurt as well? Or the index finger and middle finger?

How long has this been going on?

The Pinky toe ins't numb. The third and fourth toes themselves are numb. The bottom of my foot under those toes are also numb. My middle and index finger doesn't hurt. I only have pain in the thumb and palm near my wrist.

This has been going on for about a month.

OK.

Well -- these two are not related.

They are not anatomically related, so one of them couldn't be the cause of the other.

The numbness in the toes, those specific toes, seems to be related to irritation of a small nerve that goes to the toes, probably in the bottom of the foot. It probably isn't a result of inflammation further up the foot or leg, since there would be more areas affected (such as the pinky, the entire bottom of the foot, the calf, etc).

Pains in the thumb can be from a number of causes:

arthritis in the joint (carpometacarpal arthritis)
de Quervain's tenosynovitis
trigger thumb
carpal tunnel (but your index and middle fingers would also be involved with pain)

Regardless -- seeing your doctor for an exam of the hand would be helpful in the diagnosis. Xrays of the thumb can see arthritic changes in the thumb.
Thank you, ***** ***** are my toes numb?
Well, it could just be inflammation of the small nerves in the bottom of the foot. This could be from something as simple as shoes that are too tight, or inflammation of the nerves from conditions like diabetes or vitamin deficiencies ("peripheral neuropathy").

So your doctor can do bloodwork to check for these issues.
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon