Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Why is it medically necessary to pass gas after abdominal

surgery before being released from...
why is it medically necessary to pass gas after abdominal surgery before being released from the hospital?
12/31/2009
Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Hi there, and thanks for your question. Your question is a very good one, and I'm happy to answer it. Whenever a patient undergoes abdominal surgery, the intestines, stomach, etc. are moved/cut/changed, depending on the type of surgery. This, in addition to the anesthesia that puts the patient to sleep, makes it difficult for the gastrointestinal tract to "wake up" and return to normal. It can take several days for a patient's diet to fully return, and for pain to subside to the point where eating is comfortable. One of the best and earliest signs that the intestines are returning to normal is the passing of gas afterwards. Once surgeons and other physicians see this happening, they feel more comfortable that the abdomen is healing nicely, and the patient can then tolerate a regular diet over time. This then allows for discharge home from the hospital. I hope this information helps. Feel free to ask any additional questions, and if you are satisfied with my answer, please click 'accept.' Take care, and have a nice New Year, Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician