How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Internist Your Own Question
Internist, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 1066
Experience:  MD,MBBS, Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Internist is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i just found a knot in my tongue. it is painful when touched.

This answer was rated:

i just found a knot in my tongue. it is painful when touched. my tongue is also swollen. my tongue has been swelling off & on over the past 6 months. Had symptoms checked out by dentist. He confirmed that my taste buds are inflamed & that my tongue is swollen.
but he had no answers as to why it is happening or what to do about it. Any advice on what to do now?

Welcome to Just Answer.


I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Some of the causes which can present with tongue swelling include;-


1-Infectious like viral (Herpes),or sometimes fungal

In this situation there are coatings on the surface of the tongue,white patches etc.


2-Poor hygiene and low saliva in mouth sometimes can cause tongue swelling and it can alos facilitate the growth of bacteria causing further swelling.


3-Exosure to irritants like smoke,chewing,alcohol spices.

4-Sometimes allergic reactions to tooth pastes ,mouth wash can also present with this.

5-Some other disorders like Iron deficeiency anemia,pernicious anemia, vitamin C and B2 (Riboflavin) deficiency,apthous ulcers etc.


So my suggestion would be to


a-Improve the oral hygiene,use ni-flame mouth wash for gargals.

b-Start vitamin supplement especially containing B2(Riboflavin) and vitamin C

C-Take plenty of fluids


In case the symptoms persist despite the above said measures,you should get evaluation by a dermatologist and may be we need to run some tests as well.


I hope the info helps,

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

If you were satisfied,Kindly click ACCEPT,Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been to my family doc & my dentist, both before I found the knot today. I went to the dentist first & he said I should see my family doc & do blood work. My family doc did basic blood work/ hemoglobin & said all is normal. But now I have a knot in my tongue along with the swelling & it is painful. What type of Dr should I see next.

Thanks for the query.


You should utilize the measures which i mentioned above and give a trial for 3-5 days

you will be fine hopefully.

In case you still have some problem.You need to see a Dermatologist.


I hope you got asnwer to your query,

Kindly click ACCEPT if you were satisfied,Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Really??? I don't think my dermatologist is going to want to look in my mouth. I was thinking ENT or Oral surgeon. Why a dermatologist? Also this problem has been ongoing for about 6 months, with the knot showing up today.

A dermatologist is the best person to see in my opinion because most of the time the cause is mucous manifestation of some systemic disorder/deficiency it is not necessary the region invloved which should bother you

ENT has no role to play.

However Oral/Maxillofacial people can be consulted.

I hope you got it.

Kindly click ACCEPT if you were satisfied,Thanks.

Internist and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you