Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I HAVE HAD THE HICCUPS FOR THREE DAYS AND IT IS CAUSING

I HAVE HAD THE HICCUPS FOR THREE DAYS AND IT IS CAUSING HEARTBURN PROBLEMS AND THE ONLY WAY I FEEL BETTER IS TO VOMIT. HELP
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 7 years ago.
Im sorry to hear about your problems,

Do you have any previous medical conditions? medications?
Did you have any heartburn preceding the hiccups?
Any kidney problems?
Any abdominal pain?
Any blood in the vomit?
Any history of smoking or alcohol intake?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

NO PREVIOUS MEDICAL CONDITIONS

OCCASIONAL HEARTBURN BUT NOT ALL THE TIME

NO KIDNEY TROUBLE

HAVE ABDOMINAL PAIN NOW FROM HICCUPING FOR THREE DAYS BUT NOT PREVIOUS

VOMIT IS STRANGE LOOKING NOT BLOODY BUT LOOKS LIKE TURNIP GREENS WHICH IS SOMETHING HAVENT EATEN IN WEEKS

CHEW TOBACCO BUT HAVENT SWALLOWED ANY

Thanks for the additional information,

There are many causes for constant hiccuping but the two most relevant one in your case would be that of GERD which is normally known as reflux. This is caused by a weak spinchter which is between your oesophagus and the stomach causing the acid to come back up the oesophagus and thus cause the heartburn, pain , hiccups as well as the vomiting. This can be easily treated with the help of simple measure like elevating the head of the bed and eating your last meal about 2- 3 hours before bed time plus OTC prilosec.

Now the other cause which would relevant in the context of your abdominal pain especially iof the pain was there for the last three days at the start would be that of gallstones of any other gall bladder disease like that of cholecystitis in which the gallbladder in inflammed. Im considering this because of the green color vomitus that you have which is basically bile comin g from the duodenum. If you have pain right under thr ibs which is tender to touch, then you should be evaluated in the Er imeediately to rule out cholecystitis and pancreatitis via a clinical examination and an abdominal ultrasound and CT scan abdomen. This can be treated with antibiotics and IV fluids.

There are other causes for hiccups which can be due to akidney disease or electrolyte imbalance. But i would recommend that you see a doctor as this has been going on for the past three days and hasnt subsided so you should be eval;uated buy a medical professional as soon as possible. In the meantime you can try using benadryl or other antihistamines which can sometimes help in some cases but the best way would be to visit an ER where drugs like lioresal, metoclopramide and chropormazine are avilable to stop the hiccups.

here is some more information about your problem,

http://www.medicinenet.com/hiccups/article.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hiccups/DS00975

I hope this answers your question

If I have been helpful,

Please click the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUSES are always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.