Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Why Would A Physician Give Bumex Instead Of Lasix In 64 Yo?

Customer Question
Why would a physician give...

Why would a physician give bumex instead of lasix in 64 year old male heart failure, pulmonary and peripheral edema K+3.2, Mg 1.4 na 140 taking NSAIDS.

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
12/8/2009
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer!
Bumetanide and furosemide are potent loop diuretics; the former is 40 to 50 times more potent than the latter on a weight basis. Bumetanide is absorbed more quickly than furosemide and is twice as bioavailable.
Bumetanide and furosemide were similar in time course of absorption, but patients with CHF had considerably prolonged absorption compared to normal subjects causing attainment of lower peak concentrations of drug. In both CHF and normal subjects, more bumetanide than furosemide was absorbed. The elimination half-life of furosemide was approximately twice that of bumetanide, and both were about two times longer than respective values in normal subjects. "Dose"-response curves were shifted downward from normal with both drugs. In patients with CHF, overall response did not differ between bumetanide and furosemide. The two drugs exhibit subtle differences, the clinical importance of which appears to be negligible. Importantly, however, both drugs showed delayed absorption causing attainment of peak urinary excretion rates of diuretic two-to threefold lower than in normal subjects. This effect along with the abnormal responsivity of the tubule may contribute to the "resistance" to oral doses of diuretics observed clinically even though no quantitative malabsorption of drug occurs.
Pharmacologically, bumetanide is about 40-fold more potent than frusemide (furosemide), with the exception of its effects on urinary potassium excretion where its potency is lower. Studies in patients with oedema due to congestive heart failure, pulmonary oedema or hepatic disease show that oral or intravenous bumetanide 0.5 to 2 mg/day produces results comparable to those with frusemide 20 to 80 mg/day.
Comparison of bumetanide with frusemide at a dose ratio of 1 : 40 reveals no significant differences in clinical response with the exception of renal disease, where patients with oedema appear to respond better to bumetanide. Potassium supplements and spironolactone may be beneficial additions to bumetanide where patients at risk of hypokalaemia can be identified.
Clinically important side effects are infrequent, with audiological impairment occurring to a lesser extent than with frusemide. Bumetanide thus offers an important alternative to frusemide when a 'loop' diuretic is indicated.
Feel Free to ask any queries about the answer!
I hope the answer was helpful..
Regards

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor