Dr. K.
Dr. K., Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified primary care doctor.
25087362

Which medications, besides Metformin, can be used to treat

Which medications, besides Metformin, can be used to treat Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome?
There are many types of medications that help with PCOS and they work in different ways
clomiphene will help indice ovulation in 80% of women with PCOS

metformin helps with the inslin resistance and is commonly used along with climiphene

thiazelinediones can also help induce ovulation

external hormones called gonadotropins can also be used. It isbest to discuss these options with an enocrinologist and/or your primary doctor/obgyn

If I have answered your question, please click ACCEPT, and a BONUS would be greatly appreciated
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not really interested in ovulation...my PCOS is caused by my insulin resistance and I am wondering which drugs endrorinolgists use besides Metformin to treat the underlying insulin issue that is causing my PCOS. Metformin is causing too much digestive tract issues to continue. Can you be more specific about the insulin meds?
Thiazolidineodines can also be used for insulin resistance. (avandia and actos are the two drugs in this class that are liscensed for use in the US). You should speak to your doctor about changing from metformin to these to se if it is appropriate in your particular case