Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate
18703594

What to do if the nebulizer is not working?

Customer Question

What can I do if the nebulizer is not working? My asthma is acting up.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

If you asthma is acting up and your nebulizers are NOT working, you really should be seen in the ER - because your airway can close down on you fairly quick.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How many nebulizer treatments can I take? I don't want to be in ER tonight.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

Which nebulizers do you have that are working?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I take Albuterol in nebulizer and am still tight. My chest is tight. I hate the ER. Anything else I can do?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

You can take Albuterol up to 4 times per day at home - so since you only used it once so far - try again.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I took it 4x during the day. Can I take it even though am still really tight? What else can I do? I don't want to be in the ER tonight.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

Yes, you can still try taking the Albuterol again and even the Advair - but if it is not working, you really should be seen and I understand you do not want to go to the ER - also, is your Albuterol container even working - I've seen it where the Albuterol is run out of medication and this is why it is not working.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I see the mist is that what you mean? My chest is really tight, it hurts to take breath in. Is that bad?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

Yes, hurting to breath is not usually a good sign - and you need to have your 'air' - also, you could be coming down with the flu and/or even a pneumonia - so going to the ER for a chest X-ray too might be a good idea and if you have not had the flu shot(s) - getting the Tamiflu is a good idea too since you are susceptible to the flu given you are asthmatic.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Had both flu shots the H1N1 and seasonal flu shot. I really hate ER. What can I do ESP cause nebulizer isn't helping and the chest hurts?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

There is nothing else you can do at home - because what you need is only available at the ER - such as oxygen, steroids, and another version of Albuterol called LEVO- Albuterol - now if you have other nebulizers or even a nebulizer system at home, you can try this - but taking hot showers, etc will NOT work for asthma.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I live alone and am scared. Why does it hurt? I am scared. Chest hurts to breathe, why?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

You are hurting most likely because your airway is closing down on you and you are having anxiety - hence why I am suggesting that you get seen in the ER tonight - and I know this is not what you want to do - but this should be done.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Anything else I can do? Scared to be in ER. Breathing is making me tired. Is that bad?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

Because you are having a hard time getting oxygen in - this is causing you to become tired - so when you get to the ER you probably will NOT wait long because you are having an Airway problem - and the ER sees this as a true emergency - so I would recommend going - don't be scared to be in the ER - remember, the docs and the nurses there are humans too - they will take care of you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am just scared. I am alone. I hate being in ER. Anything else can I do? Will it be bad to sleep it off with how bad I'm feeling? My chest hurts.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.

If the Neb is not working - then you need to be in the ER - there comes a point you need to switch to something different - and the ER has other means to treat you.

You need to seek emergent care - this can not be done over the internet - you need in person help be it an emergency room or an urgent care center - you need help.

Take care.