Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have high Neutrophils 72.0 differential and low lymphocytes

I have high Neutrophils 72.0...
I have high Neutrophils 72.0 differential
and low lymphocytes 17.9 differential
1. What can that possibly indicate?
2 Is this any precursor for cancer?
3. What can I take or do naturally to increase my lymphocytes numbers?
4. I have been diagnosed with sarcoidosis in past and also have low thyroid. Can these affect these numbers also?
5. What plan of action would you recommend?
11/21/2009
TheSurgeon
TheSurgeon, Doctor
Did you have the blood drawn when you were sick or healthy?
Healthy
Have you been experiencing any weight loss, night sweats, change in appetite or bowel habits?
some night sweats. am dieting to lose weight.

Causes of these changes in the blood count are many and include physical and mental stress (stress leukocytosis), infections (commonly viral), allergies, medications, etc.

Normal values for while blood cell and its elements are:
White blood cells: 4,500-10,000 /mcl.
Neutrophils: 40% to 60%
Lymphocytes: 20% to 40%
Monocytes: 2% to 8%
Eosinophils: 1% to 4%
Basophils: 0.5% to 1%
Band: 0% to 3%

An absolute neutrophil count ANC is a real number of neutrophil count in relation to the total white blood cells (WBCs). The normal range for the ANC is 1.5 to 8.0 (1,500 to 8,000/mm3). Lymphocyte Count (Absolute) range is 1000 - 3500/mm3.

I'm not worried about you lymphocyte count, because it's at the low range of normal. Everyone fluctuates, and remember that these numbers are all relative. If your neutrophil count is higher at any particular time, your other levers (like lymphocytes) will drop in relation.

There are many reasons that your neutrophil count could be slightly elevated, it is juts your body's natural response to fighting any sort of virus/bacteria, and your body will produce increased neutrophils for many other reasons besides infection. Anything over 80 would be concerning for a worse/sudden infection, i'm not too concerned about something around 70.

The best thing to do would be to get the levels rechecked in a few months, at a time when you are feeling healthy. I have the feeling the levels will be normal then!

Just eat a well-balanced diet for healthy immune function. There are no remedies for increasing "just the lymphocytes".

If you were on steroids for sarcoid, that could alter the levels, but like I said they are still in the lower range of normal, and the high neutrophils are making the lymphocyte differential low!

Is there anything I can do to keep these both more in normal range?

Is there any medication or non-prescription med or natural supplement that helps?

What food sources are best?

Your body will naturally adjust the ranges to what it needs.

I think your body was responding to a virus or bacteria in your body, remember we are bombarded by germs everywhere, every day, and they get in our bodies even though we may not feel sick.

Make sure you eat enough fruits and vegatables, anything with B vitamins will help your immune system. You could also add a multivitamin to take with your meals.

No natural supplement will ever substitute for a healthy, well-rounded diet. There are plenty of over-the-counter supplements that claim to boost immune function. Bur let me once again say, your immune system seems to be working fine. You had a slightly elevated neutrohil level, and neutrophils are our body's way of clearing germs. Spend your money on healthy natural produce, not pills. Stick with leafy green vegetables and fresh fruit, stay away from too many desserts and processed foods.

Thank you Dr. for answering my questions and concerns--and so timely.

This is a great site.

You are welcome.

TheSurgeon
TheSurgeon, Doctor
TheSurgeon
TheSurgeon
TheSurgeon, Doctor