Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I suffer from itchy lower legs, and numbness in soles of

Customer Question
feet. My GP reckons it...
I suffer from itchy lower legs, and numbness in soles of feet. My GP reckons it is neuralgia?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Medical
11/19/2009
Doctor: Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor

since when you have this problem ?

has it increased over time ?

do you have any previous illness ?

any tests done ?

The condition has lasted for four years. Has not increased over the period. Blood pressure is under control with medication. Have had prostate cancer seven years ago but recovered. Take medicatiion for Sugar Levels but remain with in normal.

Perhaps it has no bearing but I have had cartiledges removed from both knees many years ago.

Blood tested for sugar and cholestrol periodically

Thanks for input,

This problem is termed as sensory neuropathy,

In your case this seems most likely due to diabetes,

some other causes that can be associated with diabetes that can increase the problem are

vitamin deficincy like B1, B2, B6 and B12

taking alcohol also can worsen the problem,

you need to have a strict diabetic control, fasting less that 126mg/dl and random less than 145mg/dl should be the target. blood pressure 130/80.

vitamin supplements like over counter available multivitamins can be taken,

for nerve pain you need to take gabapentin, 300mg twice to thrice daily is starting dose,

lidocaine creams are also helpful.

other things that you can do at home are

see this web address

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/DS00131/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

these are the things that will help you with your problem, you have to be very active on

controlling the symptoms, if problem worsens and pain is unbearable than

TENS(trasncutaneous electrical nerve stimulation can be tried)as it has shown good

results in many person with severe problems.

I hope answer was helpful.

Although I have not had a fasting test for sugar recently. MY GP took a random blood test for sugar in August 2009 and said it was within normal.

I must empathise I do not suffer from pain as such, only a severe itch in both legs and numbness in the feet extending from the extremity of the toes back through the sole.

Can I get the fasting test at a Pharmacy or must I see a Specialist?

Regards

Thanks for input,

For fasting test you have to be empty stomach for 8 hours, can only take water..

best to do this test in morning.

This can be done by glucometers easily available on medical stores.

you just have to prick the pulp of finger with the needle given with the glucometer and

place the strip of glucometer on the machine and just touch the blood on your finger with

the strip.

with in 10 seconds it will give the reading.

very easy to use. no need for speacialist, do keep the record of these readings on a

plane paper so that you can tell the readings to your doctor whenever you visit him.

I hope answer was helpful.
Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor