Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing
16455829

Inside my right ear is itchy, has flaking/peeling skin and

Inside my right ear is itchy, has flaking/peeling skin and recently it has discharged at night. Is there a treatment to clear up this infection. I do not swim and dry both ears carefully after every shower.
Thank you

Hi

Thanks for your question.

It sounds like you might have otitis externa- which is a infection of the ear canal. This will not improve with the treatments you have done at home.

This is really common. It tends to follow after swimming, but it can occur even in people who vigilantly keep their ears dry. In the meantime, do not put anything inside your ears. You need to make an appointment with your regular doctor for some antibiotics- I use cortisporin otic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otitis_externa

Warm regards

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I know what it is called, but it never seems to clear up. Next time I have to go to the doctor, will ask her for a prescription as you have suggested. Will look it up first since I do not like taking antibiotics unless I get a chest infection.

Thanks anyway

The prescription is for ear drops, it is not a systemic antibiotic like the ones you get for chest infections or urinary tract infections.

Warm regards