Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

Why does my back hurt when I take a deep breath? My whole

Why does my back hurt when I take a deep breath?
My whole body hurts and I have pain everywhere
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
When you take a deep breath your rib cage expands. If you have pain taking a deep breath it may be due to either irritation or inflammation of the muscles connecting the ribs or the joints between the ribs and sternum or it can be an irritation of the lining of your lung called the pleura. If the pain feels on the surface then it is most likely musculoskeletal and if it feels deeper inside than more likely an irritation of the lining of the lung. musculoskeletal it should pass within a few days.If it lasts for a Longer period of time or if you have other chest pain or fever then you should see your physician.
*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What if I have this symptoms for months?

Could this be related to anxiety?

Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
you did not mention that you had these symptoms for months. In that case it would be unlikely that you have a muscle or joint irritation to last for that long. Also you would have other symptoms if there was an irritation of the lining of the lung. Yes this could be related to anxiety and stress especially if it effects your entire body. See your doctor for a checkup and he may prescribe a muscle relaxant or anti-stress medication.